Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2005 13:00

Dell Utility Partition getting a J when booting

We just recieved our first Dell 6800 and durring our attempt to install the Utility Partition ( using the CD hat came with it ) it said that it completed successfully but when we go to boot to it all we get is a "j".  We've tried older versions of cd's for this model as well and still get the same result.  Has anyone else ran into this ?

16 Posts

August 19th, 2005 18:00

I am seeing the exact same problem with an older 2600 we have. Anyone have any ideas?

3 Posts

October 11th, 2005 21:00

I've been having the same issue with an older server- a PE2550.  I just downloaded the new version 4.5 ISO of the Installation and Server Management CD and tried that.  Now I'm getting the message that it's loading PBR for descriptor 1 (which should be the utility partition), but then it hangs with a "Bad PBR signature" message.  I've cleared and re-created the logical drive configuration in the RAID BIOS several times but it hasn't helped.  I'm going to try clearing the physical drives but it would be great to hear some suggestions.

16 Posts

October 11th, 2005 21:00

I actually found that doing the actual install of the OS through the Dell provided installer loaded up the partition correctly (and it works).

2 Posts

October 29th, 2005 12:00

What do you mean be the Dell provided installer?  I have the same problem.  I am not getting a "j", but the PBR message.

It happened after I uninstalled EzArmour.

The only disks I got with my Dell are for the printer, Word Perfect and a documentation CD for my monitor.   I can't even find a recovery disk.   How can you pay for OS and not get the actual CD?  I can get a recovery disk from Dell, but I understand it takes about a week.

I don't know what the user partition is.  I hit F12 and got into a diagnostic program.  I am running a scan now, but it states that the test cannot boot the OS.  Thank goodness for this older slow computer or I'd be sunk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

16 Posts

October 31st, 2005 22:00

We are talking about the Installation and Server Management CD.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?
c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&releaseid=R107680&SystemID=PWE_1850&os=WNET
&osl=en&deviceid=10655&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=3&formatcnt=1&fileid=142800

We are talking about servers here, not desktops/laptops, I'm not sure what to tell you there.
But doing an O/S install through the ISM CD actually correctly installed the Dell Utility Partition
we were talking about.

Message Edited by Jerry Rice on 10-31-2005 06:31 PM

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 6th, 2005 15:00

The dell installer is called the  * Dell OpenManage™ Server Assistant *

Dell CD ISO - Installation and Server Management
CD iso images

Release Title: Systems Management: Dell CD ISO - Installation and Server Management, CD iso images, Multi OS, Multi Language, Multi System, v.4.5, A00
Release Date: 10/10/2005
Description: The Dell™ PowerEdge™ Installation and Server Management CD provides an operating system installation utility and all required software applications to install and manage PowerEdge systems. These applications include: * Dell OpenManage™ Server Assistant * Dell OpenManage Server Administrator * Dell OpenManage Array Manager * SNMP Agents 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2014 08:00

Try to change your hard drive is faulty 

No Events found!