Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2011 08:00

HELP : I lost the CD RESTOR OS windows Server 2003 R2 Std edition

Hi,

We lost the Cd restor we have a problem with active directory, we need to reinstallation of windows. can some one send us a iso file windows Server 2003 R2 Std x86 edition.

thanks ( we have the key on the server)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 12th, 2011 08:00

Remember, this forum is not an official avenue of support with Dell, so any official requests will have to be made to Dell Technical Support directly.  You can call Dell Technical Support to see if they have any more CD's in stock ... I doubt it though.

A downloadable ISO that you can use to reinstall 2003R2 that came with your server does NOT exist through legal channels.  If you have lost your CD, you really only have two options if Dell no longer has them in stock:

1. Purchase the CD's online through someplace like eBay.

2. Download the ISO directly from Microsoft.  For this, however, you will have to have to be a member of one of several programs that Microsoft has.  For any of these options, automatic activation will not work ... you will have to call Microsoft to activate by phone:

• Volume Licensing
  • MSDN
  • TechNet

3 Posts

March 13th, 2011 11:00

Hello theflash1932,

you are very fast :emotion-2:,

of course i called the dell support, after we search on micrsoft forum.

really it is a silly situation

Dell don't sell the CD and told us to contact microsoft

Microsoft stop the support for W2K3 and told us to contact the OEM.

I search on internet, thousand of person are in same situation.

We don't want to buy a new licence because we juste test a new idea about our intranet.

finaly we will buy a new HD (X2, because RAID) and we use Linux.

It is interresting situation, because we cann't receive any support from dell, even a download site for iso CD.

I will reconsdering the situation about local seller of server,

also I found in internet many forum about the siutation of HP.

in any case we will not buy any product from Micrsoft or DELL.

I am sure some one will help us.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 13th, 2011 12:00

You don't have to buy a new license, you just have to find someone selling the media - much cheaper than a license.

I have heard of Microsoft allowing a single download of generic OEM software for valid holders of branded OEM licenses, although being OEM, it is not Microsoft's responsibility to provide media if the customer loses it - it is the OEM's responsibility, and Dell's policy is that once the OS is EOL (or no longer shipping with new product), they stop replenishing the media and eventually sell out.  Nearly every OEM works the same way, not just Dell.

In some situations Linux can be used, but in others (such as businesses where the workforce is not very computer savvy), it would never work.

For as little as $250, you can get a TechNet subscription with Microsoft that would allow you unlimited downloads of pretty much any operating system they have.  While the program is designed for testing and learning/training, the media could be used to install, then activated over the phone with Microsoft.

3 Posts

March 14th, 2011 03:00

Hi,

Thanks, we also think so, but on some forum many people said they received a bad copy and some time a copy of VLK CD and note an ISO of the DELL CD's restore. I found on ebay someone propose the CD's (one for 95$).

If you use win image ISO creator or power iso it takes 5 min to do an iso CD and 5 min for the email.

So I am wondering for what raison the person ask for 95, 75 or 50$.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 14th, 2011 09:00

1.  It is illegal to post downloads of Windows OS's on the Internet without explicit consent from Microsoft, so the downloadable ISO idea usually dies right there. 

2.  You may not think it's right for people to charge money for this, but the fact is, you lost your CD and they didn't - they have something you need - so as to reward those who took care of their media and to reimburse them for the time and care they take to help you out, they might ask for a little reward in return ... this also allows you to reinstall the OS (for which you already have the license) for 95, 75, 50 dollars instead of $800 for a new license with media.

January 23rd, 2012 11:00

Hi SearchW2K3,

Were you able to find a set of CDs?  If so I would like to discuss this further.

1 Message

January 21st, 2018 20:00

i could help upload the cd or transfer via wetransfer to your email at my convenience

ben

No Events found!