never_DELL
1 Nickel

How to install W2012R2 on R610 UEFI server

Hi

Hopefully somebody has a good guide for installing Windows 2012 R2 server on PE R610 ?

I have now tried several "fixes" from the internet from UEFI enabled USB boot, original MS DVD - you name it.

Boot to repair console and use diskpart to make GPT partitions, but nothing works.

What the heck do we need UEFI for?

So far I have no luck, and getting a bit frustrated as I have a customer waiting for a server that I do not seem to be able to install any OS.

I have installed OS on so many servers from other vendors I lost count, but this Dell have gotton me so far...

Anybody knows how it can be done?

kind regards,

Kenneth

0 Kudos
14 Replies

RE: How to install W2012R2 on R610 UEFI server

Kenneth,

Have you booted to the Lifecycle Controller (F10) and then select OS deploy? Also, have you already configured the Raid? If so then what I would suggest is to download this OS Driver Pack. After that then you will apply that update to the Lifecycle Controller, and this will include the driver needed. After that then select the OS Deploy option and then the OS install should proceed. 

Let me know how it goes.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

What the heck do we need UEFI for?

There are several reasons one might need it, but if you don't, turn it off.

0 Kudos
never_DELL
1 Nickel

Hi Chris

I downloaded the 64 bit windows version and placed this application on the USB key, but when I plug this USB key into the server is says no volume available for local repository.

So what am i missing here?

kind regards,
Kenneth

0 Kudos
never_DELL
1 Nickel

I burned the .exe file to a cd, but i cant browse my way to the cd from the LC when trying to do a platform update....

Do I need to change the bios from uefi to bios mode (not from the LC)?

/Kenneth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
never_DELL
1 Nickel

What are the reasons?

For me it seems way to complicated to just install a OS, in most cases these days the servers are running a virtualization solution like Vmware or other vendors.

I tried to disable UEFI and then try to install a OS but again I was challenged with missing drivers and the installation was not able to continue....

/Kenneth

0 Kudos

Kenneth,

What is the raid controller you have installed in the server?

Chris Hawk

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
never_DELL
1 Nickel

Perc H700 integrated....

0 Kudos

Thank you. The drivers should be present on the OS media itself as well, as they should have been included since the H700 was released prior to the OS. If you boot directly to the OS media, does it see the Virtual Disks you created prior to install?

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos
never_DELL
1 Nickel

no i do not see the virtual drive, it is asking for a missing driver....

and then installation is not able to continue past that point...

Found a utility that i can boot from to install a OS, but now i get a .dll error  on my MS media...

Is just trying on a second media right now, and if that fails too I think this server will get the boot and we go for a HP.... 

0 Kudos