Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2012 04:00

Installing Windows Server 2008 R2 on PE1950

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on a PowerEdge 1950 but not having any luck.

First I tried with a regular 2008 OS DVD but the server will not boot on it. Verified the DVD being bootable on other computers and the server being able to boot properly using other bootable discs.

So I thought I'd give SMTD a try and downloaded and burned version 6.3.1 but the server will not boot from the disc. I did btw join the ISO properly.

So instead I got the SBUU version 5.5.0 and server boot on the disc but after loading for a bit I get: "unsupported system detected, press enter to Reboot the system".

Currently downloading a couple of other versions of SMTD, but not convinced it'll do any difference... So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Perhaps worth mentioning that my current BIOS version is 1.1.0

Could there be a limitation not being able to but on DVDs while CDs still work? If yes how would I go about adding DVD boot support?

Thanks,
Anders

• 

8.8K Posts

September 18th, 2012 07:00

Anders,

The issue is more than likely due to the BIOS being 10 updates back. The 1950 was released prior to WS2008, so the earlier BIOS versions may have issues with it.  I hate to ask, are you certain there is a DVD-ROM in the server and not just a CD-ROM?  

With the BIOS, please folow this link and then below release date is SEE PREVIOUS VERSIONS, click that and then walk the updates up to the most current. You don't want to run just the most current update  skip all the others, that can cause other issues.

BIOS update - www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

Let me know how it goes.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 18th, 2012 08:00

The 1950 WILL boot to USB, but the USB must be prepared correctly:

jesscoburn.com/.../installing-windows-2008-via-usb-thumbdrive

To do this, insert the USB, then boot to the BIOS Setup (F2) to put USB at the top of the boot sequence (USB MUST be in before booting to do this).

PXE is VERY complicated unless you use a "package", like Server 2008's WDS ... but there are certain network restrictions there too.

What version is your BIOS currently at?

4 Posts

September 18th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for the quick reply Chris!

Actually as I was writing my first post I realized CDs would boot but not DVDs and there is no DVD sign on the thing so probably is just a CD drive... *embarrassed*

So instead I started looking into booting from USB but seems that is not supported by PE1950. Unless it comes with a BIOS update? Also read up on setting up a PXE Boot server but that seems to involve way too much work!

Which BIOS version would you suggest? (not quite sure how to read that from you previous post)

Thanks,

Anders

4 Posts

September 18th, 2012 14:00

Just that I don't have an USB option in the boot sequence. The options I do have are cdrom, virtual floppy, virtual cdrom, hard drive and NIC. Current BIOS version is 1.1.0.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Although, I wouldn't try it until you have updated your system firmware, as you are very unlikely to get 2008 installed until you do.  Do you have another system with an internal DVD drive you could swap ... or have an external USB DVD drive?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Make sure that the USB ports are on/enabled.  

Make sure that USB Emulation is set to Auto.

Make sure that the USB flash drive is inserted BEFORE you boot up the machine to go into the BIOS.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 18th, 2012 15:00

In the BIOS, there are two 'on' settings:  All Ports On or Only Back Ports On.  Make sure all ports are on.

There should also be two ports in the back.

SBUU cannot update anything by itself.  Once you boot to SBUU and select Update Firmware, you are prompted for the repository for the updates.  All the latest versions are on DVD (there is a CD version, but that would only take you to 1.3 and wouldn't really help you).  You need SUU (Server Update Utility) as the repository.  You can build a USB for the updates instead of DVD, or you can run SUU on another system and build your own repository that may fit on CD.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/2684/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-1950?driverId=NHNF2&osCode=WNET&fileId=2731103763

4 Posts

September 18th, 2012 15:00

Unfortunately I don't have any DVD drive.

USB Emulation is indeed set to Auto.

I have 3 USB ports, 1 in the back and 2 up front. As there are no PS2 ports I use the one in the back for an USB keyboard and that works fine. The 2 port in the front though might not be working as I just tested the keyboard in them it doesn't work here. Same with the mouse; works in the back port but not in the front ones. I have also tried booting with the bootable USB stick in the back port but the server still boots from the HD.

So how would I go about enabling the 2 USB ports in the front?

I have successfully booted up with the SBUU CD version 5.5.0 but tricky to make any updates when keyboard, mouse and USB stick all fight for the one functioning USB port :P

No Events found!