Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2016 08:00

Memory populating on the PowerEdge R920

Hi everyone, we have a PE R920 with sixteen 4Gb dimms already installed, and we want to add another twelve 16Gb memory dimms. The 4Gb dimms are single rank and the new 16Gb are double rank.

Can someone help me figuring out the right order for the dimms?

i attached a table so it will be easy to me suggestions, thanks in advance.

1 Attachment

• 

6.2K Posts

May 20th, 2016 11:00

Do i have to enable something (BIOS? maybe?) to have the flexible memory configuration? 

No, flexible memory is a feature that is not enabled or disabled. The memory mode will need to be in optimizer to benefit from flexible memory as all of the other memory modes enforce some type of population rules.

With that in mind, would the attached configuration work fine?

With flexible memory I can't say for sure. Almost anything will work with flexible memory regardless of how bad the configuration is. The configuration you just posted does not populate half of the risers.

If you want to try a flexible memory configuration then populate according to my first suggestion, but in the last two risers(G and H) populate slots 1 and 2 on each riser with the 4GB DIMMs leaving slots 5 and 6 empty. That would probably be the best non-optimal configuration, but I'm not sure if it will work. We don't test or validate non-optimal configurations, so I don't have a list of them that will work.

Thanks

Yes we do have 4 CPUs, Do i have to enable something (BIOS? maybe?) to have the flexible memory configuration? 

With that in mind, would the attached configuration work fine?

Thanks very much for your assistance Daniel!

1 Attachment

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello

I'm assuming that you have 4 CPUs. You don't have enough memory for a suggested configuration. Your current population should have slots 1 and 2 populated across all 8 risers(A1, A2, B1, B2, etc).

Your current configuration has the minimum number of DIMMs required for a validated configuration. The minimum configuration requires 2 identical DIMMs populated in each riser. Your suggested configuration with your proposed upgrade would be:

16GB DIMMS in slots 1,2
4GB DIMMs in slots 5,6

All of the risers should have identical configurations. You need 4 more 16GB DIMMs to run this configuration. The R920 supports the flexible memory configuration. Flexible memory means that we do not block non-optimal configurations. You can likely populate the memory you have in the system in several ways that might work.

Thanks

1 Message

June 1st, 2018 04:00

We have a similar query- We have a R920, 4 cpus - and I want to know if 4 risers (1 riser per cpu, each riser has 4 x 4gb) will work? I assumed this would be enough because the manual says "each cpu must have an identical memory configuration" - and this configuration meets that requirement) 

Go or No Go?

No Events found!