Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DS

July 13th, 2017 11:00

New Dell R730 can't select Local SD card as boot device

Boot mode is UEFI

My only option for boot devices are; Embedded SATA Optical Drive and PXE NIC 1

I can't see the local CD cards or my PERC H730.

System Model  PowerEdge R730
System Revision  I
BIOS Version  2.4.3
Firmware Version  2.43.43.43
Lifecycle Controller Firmware  2.43.43.43
IDSDM Firmware Version  0.15

July 13th, 2017 13:00

Yes, the server and all parts where purchased from Dell.

In BIOS mode: BIOS, I see the SD card and PERC controller. In BIOS mode:  UEFI I do not.

It's my understanding I should be using UEFI to boot VMware from the local SD card and then use the PERC to access the SDDs.

How should I proceed.

• 

6.2K Posts

July 13th, 2017 13:00

Hello

My only option for boot devices are; Embedded SATA Optical Drive and PXE NIC 1

Where are you seeing these settings? Are you referring to the F11 boot manager?

You can enable, disable, or change the boot order of devices from the system BIOS under System BIOS Settings>Boot Settings>Boot Option Settings.

If the device does not show in that list then it is likely not compatible or faulty. Was the SD module purchased from us?

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

July 13th, 2017 14:00

Have you installed VMware to the SD?

You should boot to media containing VMware and then install VMware to the SD module. The SD module is presented as a hard drive.

In UEFI boot mode you can choose during boot>UEFI Boot Menu>UEFI Boot Option Maintenance>Boot From File

In that menu it should list the SD module. If you have already installed VMware to the SD module then you can use that option to attempt to boot from it. If it is still unable to boot from the SD then reinstall VMware.

Thanks

1 Message

January 23rd, 2019 11:00

F11 is not working it is going into loop. Please kindly provide any suggestions to it

No Events found!