Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2015 11:00

PE 4600 PERC 3/Di Firmware 2.8-0 Server 2008?

Hi,

I have two PowerEdge 4600 systems running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and really need to get Server 2008 Enterprise on them as an upgrade (no clean install).

For some reason I cannot upgrade the PERC 3/Di firmware from 2.8.0 to 2.8.1, I get errors and the floppy drives on both systems can't seem to read floppies when inserted.

Will Server 2008 install with the 2.8.0 PERC 3/Di firmware without issue? I have the 2008 drivers ready to go for the RAID, but all I have read seems to point out that 2.8.1 firmware is required. We don't use the DELL management software as I prefer the DOS based RAID software.

If so, how can I boot to an external drive or anything elese so I can run the DOS based firmware update. I do have the A13 BIOS and everything else on the server is up to date except the PERC 3/Di firmware.

Thanks in advance,
Al

2 Posts

July 21st, 2015 11:00

As an aside, I did run the server 2008 enterprise installer and the only caveat it seems preventing an upgrade is removing the FrontPage extensions. I didn't go any further or uninstall FPSE at the moment as these are production web servers and must wait until the weekend to do an upgrade.

No Events found!