Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2014 00:00

Power edge R510 server 2012 install problem

Hi

I have a dell Poweredge R510, I have been trying to install windows server 2012 on it, but it always fails.

Have been trying for 1 week now, tried to install via sbuu and lifeCycle controller Where I can select the OS and then it asks for the os disk, also tried to just insert the OS disk and boot from cd to install.

Every time it gets to booting into the startup of the installation it has a blue screen and says it ran into a problem then reboots.

I have the latest firmware for all hardware also the latest bios version 1.12.

I currently managed to installed windows server 2008 32bit.

Have tried different os media and usb as we'll still no luck just reboot and back to windows it loading files the black screen with the white progress bar.

I have tried to use the h700 raid in a raid 1or 0  but still couldn't. Install 2012

Then tried to connect 1 sata 2.5 to the internal sata port on the main board enabled the sata port a ata.

Tried to install os no luck. Also tried with a ssd drive still no luck. Really frustrated now.

It seems I can't install a 64 bit OS.

Help would be much appreciated.

2 Posts

April 27th, 2017 08:00

Thank you for reaching out. I managed to install using an external optical drive connected via usb. I appreciate.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 19th, 2014 14:00

Hello

If you can install 32 bit but no 64 bit OS's on the server then you likely have an old piece of hardware in or attached to the server. Disconnect/remove all unnecessary devices(PCIe, USB, eSATA, etc) and try again. Also, try another 2012 DVD or download and burn this one again.

Thanks

5 Posts

October 19th, 2014 15:00

Hi and thanks for the reply

The only hardware plugged in is the pci-riser card which has the perc h-700 raid card plugged onto it.

Nothing else plugged in, have tried different dvd 4 actually, but no luck.

• 

6.2K Posts

October 19th, 2014 15:00

Nothing else plugged in

Nothing? Does that mean you tried a different keyboard, mouse, monitor, and removed all other USB devices?

Server 2012 works fine on the R510. It does not require additional installation media. You are able to boot directly from the installation DVD for the install, so either there is an issue with the media or a piece of hardware. Since you are able to install other operating systems without issue it is likely a compatibility problem with some device attached to the system. All of the hardware we would ship with the system would be functional with Server 2012, so there is likely something still attached.

5 Posts

October 19th, 2014 19:00

I have tried a different keyboard and mouse , wireless and non wireless.

I have tried different 2012 media, originals and backups.

I really have hit a brick wall.

my friend had a dvd media which has windows 8 and windows 12 on it and the weird thing is

I can used that to create the windows 2012 partition and install the OS then when it gets to the stage of finalising and rebooting in to windows to complete it errors and reboots, goes in to a loop.

But if I use the Original MS server 2012 DVD I don't get anywhere past the white progress bar where windows is loading files.

5 Posts

October 20th, 2014 20:00

Last night I disconnected the riser card with the H700 raid card, plugged the usb keyboard into the front of the server, had the same problem.

Then I went into the bios and disabled all the stuff under CPU settings like virtualisation and pretty much all of the others under it.

put the riser card in and the raid card left the keyboard in the front usb port.

put in my Original server 2012 R2 disk and it booted up to the install, select language enter product key then select the version and after that create the partition. system starts to copy files etc then reboots and comes up with a boot error.

Tried to do it with the Dell lifecycle config and deploy OS then go through that process insert dvd and it reboots, once it reboots press key to boot from dvd, it gets to the stage where it has the blue windows logo and the rotating circle an sits t here for hours, after that I just shut it down and have opened the server up removed the cmos battery and let it drain.

5 Posts

October 21st, 2014 18:00

Okay an update.

I found the problem as  to why I could not install a 64bit os.

Last night I took CPU number 2 out of the server tried to install still failed.

Then took CPU Number 1 out and put CPU number 2 into that socket.

Windows server 2012 64x installed fine in under 15 minutes.

So it seem I may have a fault in CPU1, has anyone  else ever had this issue?

• 

8.7K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 11:00

Can you try to put CPU 1 back in and see if it was just seated poorly?

2 Posts

April 21st, 2017 13:00

I just got myself a used Dell poweredge R510, but I don't find any optical drive through which I can install my operating system. Can I use an external drive or how do others that install on this model install.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 21st, 2017 21:00

USB/flash drive

No Events found!