Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2015 10:00

PowerEdge 2900 w/ Win Server 2012 R2

Trying to get Windows Server 2012 running on a PowerEdge 2900  (ST B3LPJH1 if that helps)

System has a Perc 6i controller and 8x 1TB SATA drives

I was going to do 500GB for the System drive and use the rest for storage; however, the system does not seem to want to accept that.  Is there a trick to getting that to work?   I'd even accept one giant RAID 5 drive; but, I cannot even get that for some reason

• 

8.5K Posts

March 12th, 2015 12:00

Hfmike,

What are you seeing when accessing the controller? If you go to the Physical disks can you see all 8 listed, or only a few? If this is the case, I would check to make sure that both the SAS A and SAS B cables are connected from the controller, to the backplane. Also, are you seeing an error when attempting to create the arrays?

Let me know what you see. 

10 Posts

March 13th, 2015 07:00

I see all 8 SATA drives

If I set it as one giant RAID 5 array, when it gets to wanting to installing Windows it actually sees all the available space; however, splits it up into two Disks (Unallocated Space) and does not let me delete one and what not

• 

8.5K Posts

March 13th, 2015 07:00

Likely the issue is the Windows version, which has a 2TB limit for MBR formatted disks. What you can do is create the OS Raid 1 you discussed and then install the OS. After that create the other, larger array, and then after it is initialized format it GPT, which can exceed the 2TB limitations.

No Events found!