Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2004 19:00

PowerEdge 750 Memory Questions

PowerEdge 750 Memory Questions

1.       What type and size memory can I install in my system?

2.       What memory features does the PowerEdge 750 support?

3.       Why Does my operating system only see 256MB available memory?

4.       Memory Module Installation Guidelines

5.       Spare Parts and Upgrades

1.       What type and size memory can I install in my system?

The PowerEdge 750 supports up to four 72-bit ECC unbuffered DDR1 SDRAM DIMMs, rated for 400-MHz operation, single-channel or dual-channel.

This memory is refered to as PC3200 (DDR400). The memory can be installed in 256MB, 512MB, 1GB DIMM sizes, for a total memory capacity of 4GB.

2.       What memory features does the PowerEdge 750 support?

The PowerEdge 750 memory interface supports single-bit correction (ECC) and Memory Interleaving.

Memory Interleaving
The memory system supports 2-way interleaved memory configurations to reduce latency compared to non-interleaved implementations. Memory interleaving is a way to get your machine to access your memory banks simultaneously, rather than sequentially.

ECC
Error Checking and Correcting (ECC) support means that the system can detect and correct any single-bit memory errors that may occur without interruption of service.

3.     &nbspWhy Does my operating system only see 256MB available memory?

A function called " OS Install Mode" is currently enabled in the system BIOS. This function limits the amount of system RAM available to the operating system to 256MB, and is necessary for installations of older operating systems to complete.

More information on this function and how to enable/disable OS Install Mode can be found here.

4.       Memory Module Installation Guidelines

The 4 DIMM sockets are divided into 2 memory banks. The DIMMs must be installed in identical pairs, starting with DIMMs 1A and 1B (Bank 1). The only exception is when running a single DIMM in slot 1A. This capability was added to assist in troubleshooting memory problems.

The PowerEdge 750 cannot run with 3 DIMMs, there can only be 1, 2 or 4 DIMMs in the system. DIMM 1A must be populated first, then DIMM 1B. If the system is fully populated, DIMM 1B must be the same size as DIMM 1A and DIMM 2B must be the same size as DIMM 2A.

Complete documentation for the PowerEdge 750 memory configuration(s) can be found here.

5.       Spare Parts and Upgrades

Below are Dell part numbers for various DIMMs we offer for the PowerEdge 750. These modules must be PC3200 compliant ECC-Unbuffered DIMMs.

Note Non-ECC DIMMs are NOT supported in the PowerEdge 750.

310-8830     &nbsp256MB, DDR400, ECC, 1X256 DIMM
310-4611     &nbsp512MB, DDR400, ECC, 2X256 DIMMS
310-8832     &nbsp1GB, DDR400, ECC, 2X512 DIMMS
310-8829     &nbsp2GB, DDR400, ECC, 2X1GB DIMMS

Please note that the contents of the above part numbers are subject to change over time, as is availability of those parts. We recommend contacting our Spare Parts department at 1-800-372-3355 for pricing, availability, and purchasing of all the above parts.

No Responses!
No Events found!