Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 25th, 2016 10:00

PowerEdge T620 very slow disk performance

Hello,

We have a T620 with a H710p controller with battery backup (battery in good shape) running win2012 R2 with all the latest updates.   We applied an SUU a few months ago and since then it has been VERY slow.  We have over 2TB free.

When we create a VHDX file the server is basically unusable while it does this.   Also it slows down when copying to another server.

We've tried:

Uninstalling all antivirus and rebooting.

Cold Booting

Defragging the disk

Testing creating a VHDX on another partition.

Changing to every possible cache policy including disabling it.

We've downloaded the latest SUU again   The only option upgrading to the same firmware.

Downloading the RAID firmware indivudually

Downloading the latest RAID drivers individually.

Anyone have any suggestions?   I'm a bit uncomfortable downgrading the firmware only because I've never done it before.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 25th, 2016 15:00

Hello.

That was great troubleshooting! 

Anyone have any suggestions?   I'm a bit uncomfortable downgrading the firmware only because I've never done it before.

I would suggest that you review the controller logs for more information. You may run the previous version of the firmware to downgrade. However, downgrading BIOS may lead to incomplete boot process.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

November 25th, 2016 17:00

Thanks - I looked through the windows logs as well as the info and alert logs in open manage - where specifically should I go?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 28th, 2016 08:00

See link for more information: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/6465.how-to-export-the-raid-log-with-openmanage-server-administrator-omsa Try downgrade to the earlier version of the controller firmware and see where there will any appreciable change in performance

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

November 28th, 2016 08:00

Thanks - before I go back to a previous firmware here is the log file for my raid if anyone can see something obvious that occurred in the last 6 months.

1 Attachment

No Events found!