Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2013 10:00

Poweredge 1850 - Windows Server 2012 Install

Hi guys, I have a Poweredge 1850 which I brought cheap from ebay, I use it abit like a NAS to free up space on my iMac and to stream movies/music to my computer or via DLNA to my TV's and PS3.  I currently am running Ubuntu which I kind of like/dislike, I also like to use my server as abit of a play toy and project as I like to try things, like using a webcam as a cctv camera which I can access when im out etc.  I also use it to connect via ftp to and run webpages etc. 

Now you know how I like to play with my server please can you help :(  I want to try a new OS, I dont mind wipeing and starting again as I can backup to a external HDD.  I have a copy of Windows Server 2012 with I think 30 days free and if I like will activate it.  When I boot from CD I get to the bit where it asks for a installation location but I cant find any disks to select, I know I most probably have to install drivers which I have tried (whether they are the right ones or not I dont know) my problem is they are .exe which I can't load as im on my mac :(  - I didnt have this problem locating drives when I installed Ubuntu, that find them no problem.

Is there also a way to do all this via VNC which I use to remote into my server as I have it located in my garage.  Its abit of an effort to bring it inside plus she's rather noisy. 

Another quick one, could some one run me through how to setup my drives in the bios as I don't want to use them in Raid, I'd rather just have them as two drives rather than one with it backing up to the other one.

Would be very grateful if you could help me with my "little" project (Maybe we could both remote in and talk via skype and do it together :D )

Kind Regards

PriestyUK

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2013 11:00

Yes, 2012 needs drivers, and the only way to get them out of the EXE is to run the EXE to extract the contents (or use some other extraction tool).

If you don't have a Windows machine (and/or you are not able to do it from a Linux/Mac box), don't have a Windows virtual machine you could extract it in, AND you have access to Server 2008 (non-R2), then you can install with that long enough to get the driver extracted, as the PERC 4 drivers are native to 2008 (but not later versions).

Since Dell does not support 2012 on the 8G servers, you will need to use the Server 2008 R2 drivers:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-1850?driverId=9K3D3&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=2731109791 (you need the 'hard drive' version)

The onboard RAID controller for the 1850 (PERC 4e/Si) does NOT support non-RAID, so in order to use the disks individually, you would need to set up each disk as a single-disk RAID 0.  An alternative would be to disable RAID altogether, which uses only the SCSI controller onboard.  The RAID cache will no longer be usable with RAID disabled though.

You configure RAID in the CTRL-M utility (during POST).  You disable RAID in the BIOS Setup (F2), under Integrated Devices (CTRL-M will no longer be accessible when disabled - you will use CTRL-A to see the disks).

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

That's a lot of work for me to do on your behalf ... I have the know-how, you do the leg work :)  Besides, if you are going to disable RAID anyway, you won't need the drivers.

The write cache can have a substantial impact on performance, but would be most notable in high-speed write operations (database, etc.).

9 Posts

Are you not able to extract them and zip them for me and link me to say a dropbox location or something :(

If I disabled RAID would losing the RAID cache slow my system down?

Thanks for your input so far ;)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2013 12:00

You clear the configuration by going to CTRL-M, Configure, Clear.  Once you do this, then Ubuntu and your other data will be gone.

Configure by going to Configure, View/Add, hit Space Bar to select one drive, then Enter, F10, Space Bar to select the Span, F10, then Accept/Ok.  You then need to initialize it by choosing Initialize from the Main Menu (Space Bar to select, then F10).  Then do the same for the second disk.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Once the RAID arrays are configured/initialized (pics look fine), then you boot to 2012 ... when it says it can't find any drives, click the Load Drivers link in the bottom-left corner and browse to the files on USB.

9 Posts

OK another little question should I use Server installation with or without GUI (GUI = Graphical User Interface yes?)  

9 Posts

Seen your friend request & accepted Flash ;)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Yes ... you will need to clear the configuration first, then set up each disk as its own RAID (0 will be the only option).

Check your inbox.

9 Posts

Sniff sniff pretty please hahahah :)  If it has a impact on write speeds I would rather keep them and just set them both to raid 0, I do this in bootup by pressing CTRL-M?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2013 13:00

Make sure you have six files on your USB (megaraid.cat, mraid35x.sys, nodev.inf, oemsetup.inf, r227150.txt, version,txt), and that you are browsing to the location with these files.  It is possible that changing the file extensions and sending them like this won't work.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

If you have to ask, then USE the GUI :)  Otherwise, you have to know how to manage and administer Windows Server from a Command Line.

9 Posts

Thanks flash, one prob im getting when trying to load the drivers is - no signed device drivers were found, make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers and then click OK :(

9 Posts

I bypassed the usb prob and burnt them to CD and that work so massive thumbs up for you :D

9 Posts

:O its installing :p

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

... or remotely using MMC.

No Events found!