Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2015 03:00

Poweredge 2950 III Nvram cleared?

Hello everyone,

I have this poweredge 2950 III, which after working fine for a few weeks, showed up a "PCIe training error: embedded nic 2" and an E2022 on the lcd screen.

After following the other posts elsewhere on this forum I have tried to boot with a minimal configuration setting, reseated the cards and cleared the NVRAM using the procedure mentioned here

"en.community.dell.com/.../19453552"

.... without sucess. Now before swapping out the motherboard I am suspecting that I am not executing the clearing of Nvram procedure properly. The reason I say this is that when the system was up and running fine, I had a custom message set to display on the LCD screen. After carrying out the NVRAM clear procedure, the custom message still displays on screen. Also, the remote access settings (which are still accessible via ctrl + e) seem to retain the ip config settings.

Is this normal? I assumed the custom message was part of the bios settings retained in nvram. I have also disconnected the cmos battery but the custom message and ip settings seem to be retained.

The nvram clearing procedure I executed was as follows:

- switch off and disconnect server

- shift jumper to clear

- boot up ( message saying NVRAM CLEAR JUMPER DETECTED was observed)

- shutdown

- disconnect power

- wait 5mins

- put jumper back to original position

- connect power + switch on

Am I missing something here? Any help on this regards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 24th, 2015 12:00

If you saw the "jumper installed/detected" message, then it should have cleared.

The ESM is responsible for displaying error messages on the LCD screen, and while the custom message is set in the BIOS, it may actually be stored in the ESM. The ESM also keeps its own network configuration settings independent of the BIOS data, so clearing the NVRAM will not affect ESM settings.

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 15:00

Thanks theflash1932.

Just for anyone looking up this post with my same problem, my solution turned out to be a motherboard swap.

No Events found!