Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 9th, 2009 06:00

SC1420 + OS Installation

Not quite what I'm doing wrong. I have a SC1420 server with an Adaptec 2610SA Serial ATA card. 2 drives have been formatted from the previous Linux OS. Using the Adaptec Utility, I set up a RAID 1 - Mirror array and once the 'Clear' status had initialized to Optimal I proceeded to throw in Windows Server 2008 and reboot. I have turned off the internal harddrive controller in the BIOS to let the Adaptec boot through. Upon boot the Adaptec controller sees the array and I then have to hit F1 to continue which reboots the system and the Windows server cd boots, I see the screen that says Windows files are copying and then the system reboots and all I see are the 4 LEDS basically flickering but nothing seems to be happening. I've tried other OS installs as well with the same results. Am I missing something here with this RAID setup, every search online always refers to some Server Assistant CD or OpenManage CD, have no idea what they are since I have no factory media with this server, it was originally built around Linux.

An direction would be great. This server was originally taken out of service because of random rebooting but seems to have been resolved by moving the Adaptec card into a different PCI slot, for now. Maybe I'm not building the array correctly but the installation never gets to the point of actually being able to pick the array and install, really confused,and limited experience using a RAID and setting up a RAID controller.

Thank you

2 Posts

May 10th, 2009 13:00

No one has an answer. Lets put it this was, is there a way to install any OS on this SC1420 with no Utility Partition or system CD's, OpenManage etc....I've never worked on such a silly system that's so difficult to manage without proprietary software. Straight forward 160GB x 2 drives. Even removing the Adaptec serial ATA card and using the motherboard SATA's has resulted with the same problem.

No Events found!