Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2017 14:00

Upgrade to CentOS 7 on PowerEdge R410

I have been working to get a server that is currently running CentOS 5.11 upgraded to the latest CentOS 7 build. I did not do the initial configuration on this server, but I figured this would be easy enough.

Per CentOS recommendation, I used another linux machine that I had to format a USB stick with CentOS 7 Full using "dd blah blah blah". I then tested to make sure this would be recognized by setting to boot from this same USB stick in my home desktop and it immediately popped up asking how I'd like to proceed with my CentOS 7 install so that all seems good.

I then put this into my PowerEdge R410 and set the boot order to be the FrontUSB (where it recognized my USB stick, as verified by the fact that if I plug it into a rear USB, the selection would change to that option for me so it sees it properly). However, upon a reboot of the server, it doesn't seem to boot from the USB, and instead just goes back to starting up CentOS 5 on the main drive like it would every other time.

I've been scowering articles and changing little things here and then such as formatting my USB stick differently and using different USBs, etc. but I'm not seeing a change in this behavior. Does anybody have some solid ideas of what mistake I am making?

• 

8.5K Posts

October 30th, 2017 16:00

Hi,

If you press F11 for the one time boot menu will it boot to it? Do other systems boot to it?

2 Posts

October 31st, 2017 13:00

Hi,

Well it looks like I need to apologize. I could have sworn I did this 100 times without success, but I was able to get things to work by doing the following:

1.)   System Setup upon Boot

a.)   Set "Front USB" at top of boot order

b.)   Set USB type as "Hard Drive" instead of auto

2.)   Reboot Again

3.)   Press F11 during Boot

4.)   Selected my USB stick under "Hard Drives" selection

5.)   CentOS 7 Installer began

Sorry for an unnecessary post as I did believe I had gone through these steps, but also thanks very much as well for responding back to me so quickly. Your response kind of jump-started my mind making sure I followed the process and performed a one-time boot via F11 upon boot.

Thanks,

Drew

No Events found!