Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2011 07:00

Windows install on 2850 refurb

I purchased a PE 2850 for my home test box. I want to download and install Windows Server and SQL Server eval editions from MSDN. I burned SYSTEMS BUILD AND UPDATE UTILITY 1.0.3 to DVD and it works. I get to the OS install page where it asks for the Windows 2003 SP2 install CD but receive the following error, "Invalid CD/DVD inserted.. Insert Microsoft Windows server 2003 CD".

At this point does the install routine expect a proprietary DELL CD or should I be able to use any Windows install with the correct version?

Thank you,

Jim T

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 12th, 2011 08:00

The SBUU is designed to work with DELL media, but usually has no issues with OEM stamped media. But can have issues with downloaded MSDN copies. I would suggest doing a manual install of the OS. If the server does not have a floppy drive for loading drivers, then you will need to slipstream the driver into the ISO.

Drivers can be downloaded here.

support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

Let us know how the install goes.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Here is a good walk through on installing server 2003.

www.petri.co.il/install_windows_2003.htm

Same steps are used on the Power Edge server.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I've never seen it have issues with MSDN media (being an MSDN subsriber myself), but it CAN (and usually does) have issues with Volume License 2003 media downloaded from Microsoft.  It does not require a Dell installation disk.  

Make sure your media has SP2 (this is a must).

Make sure your media is CD format (the all-inclusive DVD's do not work).

You said SBUU 1.0.3, which doesn't match any version I'm aware of ... I would download and use the latest version (6.5) from the 2850's Download page:

If it still doesn't work (and you want to keep trying SBUU), you can try burning with a different software, a different burner, and/or burning at the slowest possible speed.

Alternatively, as Daniel suggested, you can do a manual install using a floppy (or nLiteOS.com) to take care of the RAID drivers on install.

6 Posts

COOL! Thanks.

Unfortunately when I use the boot from CD option and MSDN downloads I receive a "no valid boot device availabe" error. I have the CDROM as #1 in the boot sequence and the CDROM drive does work. Maybe it's the DVD?

I'll check out nLiteOS.com or try a newer version of SBUU.

Jim T

6 Posts

Great thank you very much. I do have a floppy and can install manually.. with a little guidance. Is there a manual load doc or can you list the major steps? I am a SQL guy and not very familiar with PE loads.

TIA

Jim T

6 Posts

August 12th, 2011 10:00

Yep, the CDROM has been enabled.

I do get a welcome screen for the OS install when I load it on my laptop. I burned it to a DVD instead of a CD and it might be an issue?

I burned a DELL SYSTEMS BUILD AND UPDATE UTILITY 1.0.3 on the same type of DVD (just purchased 20) as the WIN OS DVD and it loads on the 2850 just fine.

Yes when I browse I see folders and files (autoload, setup.exe, etc.) .

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 12th, 2011 10:00

In addition to CDROM being first in the boot order, it must also be Enabled (with a checkmark).

Can you boot to that installation CD on another system (I suspect the CD is the problem)?

Can you boot to a known good bootable CD on this 2850 (just to show the CDROM is working)?

Forgive me for asking this one ... when you browse the installation CD on another computer, do you see the Windows installation files/folders, or do you see an ISO file?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 12th, 2011 11:00

Burning a CD ISO to DVD is ok sometimes and not ok other times.  With older drives, I would use CD media.

6 Posts

August 13th, 2011 21:00

So I broke out the DOS 6.22 floppies and the first  screen states, you have no hard or need drivers.

Now I am trying to figure out how and when to install the non RAID SCSI drivers without a floppy on my working PC!

Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 14th, 2011 09:00

Wow ... DOS.  Not sure I'll be able to help you with that.  Chances are, however, that it's not even possible to get it installed on a 2850.

6 Posts

August 14th, 2011 20:00

DOS allowed me to format the c drive fat32 and the windows install now starts! ALthough it fails with error code 0x80070017. One step closer.

No Events found!