Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2006 06:00

xp on sc440

how can i install windows xp on a poweredge sc440?

2.4K Posts

November 17th, 2006 18:00

no

no drives

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2006 19:00

I've successully installed XP (Pro) on the SC440 just a few weeks ago. "You can do it!" My SC440 was configured with the SAS 5/iR PCIe RAID adapter. I hesitate to give the details here unless your configuration is similar.

It was difficult to find the XP driver for this card and not the easiest to get the driver 'spliced' into the installation process. However, I can supply that information if you need it. Just reply to this with a more pointed question.

2 Posts

November 24th, 2006 05:00

Hi,
i have the same Problem.
Can you help me with your Solution?

Thanks

2 Posts

November 24th, 2006 15:00

I managed to do it. I bought a *new* copy of XP with SP2 which includes the drivers for SATA controllers and it installed without a glitch. I then checked what devices had question marks on the device manager and used the CD that came with the computer to install the drivers.

3 Posts

November 25th, 2006 01:00

I did this as well but my system included the SAS 5/iR PCIe RAID adapater which caused additional challenges in the XP install. I can post those details if you need them.

2 Posts

November 27th, 2006 04:00

I have the SAS 5/iR PCIe RAID too. Can you give me the special Changes in the XP install?

3 Posts

November 28th, 2006 07:00

You can find the XP driver by searching for R122953 under Technical Support.

I'll give you two install options with only the 'interesting' steps outlined. The first requires a floppy drive that the server recognizes as drive A; the other takes time, a CD burner, a blank CD, and downloading a utility from online.

Option 1:
---------
1) Get the driver info onto a floppy.
2) When the XP installer starts, press the F6 key when asked if you have a SCSI/RAID device to install.
NOTE: There won't be immediate feedback that you pressed it - you have to wait until a screen comes up asking you to specify additional devices. If the installer doesn't go there, you'll have to restart.
3) Enter 'S' to add the device and put your floppy into drive A.
NOTE: The installer insists on the use of drive A - there's not option to change it.
4) If the floppy contains more than one driver, select the proper one (the name should match up).
If the right driver information is selected, you can continue the installation as you normally would w/ a non-raid setup.

Option 2:
---------
No floppy means you've got to burn a new XP install CD that includes your RAID drives. This sounds intimidating but it's really not that bad. You'll need a burner, a blank CD-R and a utility to merge the drive into the XP install data. I used nLite (
www.nLite.com ) which was freeware recommended by a friend. Although it can do MUCH more than just driver integration, it has a nice step-by-step interface that's pretty easy to use.

Let's start from a point where you have the utility installed.
1) Copy your XP installer files from the CD into a folder on your hard drive.
2) Copy the RAID driver into a folder separate from the XP files.
3) Start nLite and point it to the folder containing the XP install files.
4) Just follow the steps of the wizard to add the driver files.
NOTE: There's many more options than just adding drivers so you have to be patient in wading thru all of the steps.
5) When the new install CD is configured and ready to go, you have the option to generate an .ISO image file (which you can burn to a CD later) or burn directly to a CD - your choice.

Use the new install CD to do the XP installation. You won't have to press F6 because the RAID drivers will already be loaded as part of the process. There's no doubt this takes longer than option 1, but it's much more educational!

Hope this is enough detail to get you up and running.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2006 13:00

Thanks for this advise.

Option 1 was working fine on my server sc440.

:smileyhappy:

yours

steen

March 23rd, 2007 11:00

It worked for me to. I also loaded all the other drivers from the CD that came with the server. Although marked as being for Server 2003 they all work fine on XP Pro SP2. I did it because a client wanted a simple server running on real server hardware with a RAID but didn't need or want all the complexities of Server 2003. It works well!

1 Message

March 29th, 2007 12:00

I have the same problem. I can't find driver for XP to that sas controller. I tried to search that number under the tech. support, but it finds nothing.
Can anyone post me that driver? Help!

March 29th, 2007 12:00

Hi, It's tough to find but you should be able to get it here: http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R122953&formatcnt=3&libid=0&fileid=163515 If not find it by searching for R122953 in Tech Support. It does work - Good Luck!

105 Posts

September 8th, 2008 14:00

Just use Server 2003 32bit drivers they are basically one in the same as to what Xp can use.
No Events found!