This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2014 10:00

Now Available - PowerPath 5.7 SP2 for Windows

Product: PowerPath 5.7 SP2 for Windows

General Availability Date: January 21, 2014

New Feature Summary

PowerPath multipathing

PowerPath 5.7 SP2 for Windows multipathing has the following new features:

• Support for EMC® XtremIO™ firmware Version 2.2. This support is restricted to LUs having sector size of 512 bytes only.
  • Native LAM support for NetApp storage arrays FAS2240.
  • Support for enabling or disabling the Automatic Host-Array Registration feature.
  • Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2.
  • Support for VNX2 arrays.
  • Several bug fixes

PowerPath Migration Enabler

PowerPath Migration Enabler 5.7 SP2 has bug fixes

PowerPath Encryption with RSA

PowerPath Encryption with RSA 5.7 SP2 has the following new feature:

Update to default cryptographic settings for PowerPath Data Encryption

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Sean,

what does it mean, will  PowerPath now support that specific array ? If yes, any restrictions/limitations ?

226 Posts

LAM = Loadable Array Module.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Neil,

what does LAM mean ?

• Native LAM support for NetApp storage arrays FAS2240

226 Posts

January 21st, 2014 11:00

Dynamox,

I think it's technically similar, in that both products have a pluggable architecture. But VMware exposes their multipathing APIs so that third party vendors can write their own SATPs, whereas EMC does not expose a PowerPath API for this purpose; we write our own LAMs for both EMC and third-party arrays. I'm not sure what the future plans are for increasing third party array support.

Thanks,

- Sean

226 Posts

Dynamox,

Sorry, I should have elaborated instead of just expanding the acronym   PowerPath LAMs are like pluggable, optional drivers that allow PP to manage particular array types. For example, there's a Symmetrix LAM (installed by default) that allows PP to recognize Symm devices and includes the Symm-specific path policies. Likewise the Invista LAM (typically not installed by default) does the same thing for VPLEX or Invista devices. The new NetApp LAM allows PP to manage NetApp FAS2240 arrays. Prior to this version, PowerPath for Windows did not support managing NetApp devices.

Thanks,

- Sean

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Thank you Sean.  So is this EMC's plan to "open" PowerPath support for more 3rd party storage vendors ? Similar to what VMware does with its pluggable storage architecture ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

ahh..i see. I am surprised more customers do not ask for more support of 3rd party arrays. I used to work in a shop where we had HDS, Symm and StorageTek all presented to the same host a once (long story why, corporate politics ) . So this was multipathing hell where each vendor had their own failover software.

January 22nd, 2014 05:00

Is PowerPath Encryption with RSA is supported on Windows Server 2012 R2?

January 22nd, 2014 06:00

Yes, PP Encryption is supported on Windows 2012 R2 with PP 5.7 SP2.

Regards

Javier Soriano

PowerPath Corporate Systems Engineer

8 Posts

February 4th, 2014 17:00

So if I read this correctly, PP support is specific to the 2240?

I have a customer with a 3240, and they are currently using the NetApp DSM....we are in the process of deploying a VNX with iSCSI connectivity, and need to connect a W2K3 host....using the MS iSCSI Sw adapter....

I was advised that I had to install PP to provide the multipathing, but I am concerned how this will impact the current connectivity to the NetApp.

Thanks!

KEith

February 5th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

Yes, it's specific to FAS 2240. Also, PowerPath doesn't support co-existence with Netapp DSM.

Is this situation (connecting to both Netapp and VNX) going to be permanent? If not, I would suggest using Microsoft's MPIO to access the VNX until the Netapp array is removed, and then install PowerPath.

Regards

Javier Soriano

PowerPath Corporate Systems Engineer

8 Posts

February 6th, 2014 19:00

It will only be a temporary situation until the data migration is completed.

Thanks for the assistance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 30th, 2014 05:00

Has it been tested with Failover Clustering in 2012 R2? Supported?

89 Posts

April 30th, 2014 11:00

Yes, 2012R2 MSFC is supported with 5.7SP2.  This is confirmed in the support matrix.  Documentation updates have been requested.

No Events found!