Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2010 10:00

Powerpath 5.3.1 for AIX will not create hdiskpower devices

I have a powerpath client running AIX 5.3 TL7 and Powerpath 5.3.1, and I cannot powerpath to create hdiskpower devices. I have tried all types of combinations of deleting the "hdisk" devices, running "cfgmgr", running "powermt config", deleting the "powerpath0" device, rebooting, etc. Nothing I do will get powerpath to create the "hdiskpower" device. Therefore anytime I type "powermt display dev=all", it just returns "Device(s) not found". I am also finding that the device descriptions that are created are only "EMC CLARiiON FCP RAID 5 Disk" type. On my other servers that have "hdiskpower" devices, they also have disk devices with the description "EMC CLARiiON FCP LUNZ Disk".

4 Posts

January 15th, 2010 11:00

Correct. Installed Navisphere agent. Okay, yes I see 3.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

marty45714 wrote:

Can't get that far. Because no hdiskpower devices have been created, when I type "powermt display" it just says that no devices are configured.

the host is part of a storage group right ?  If it is you either installed Navi agent on the host or manually register it ? In connectivity status, highlight the host and click info, it should display failover mode ..which for aix should be 3.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

what is failover mode set to ?

4 Posts

Can't get that far. Because no hdiskpower devices have been created, when I type "powermt display" it just says that no devices are configured.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 15th, 2010 12:00

when you run cfgmgr -v  ..do you see any errors ? Can you post output from "lsdev -Cc disk" after cfgmgr was run.

341 Posts

January 15th, 2010 14:00

Although you say the devices are descrived as EMC CLARiiON devices in 'lsdev -Cc disk', this sounds like an ODM issue. Can you provide the output of

lslpp -L | grep EMC

For PowerPath environment, you will need these two filesets, Can you tell us if they are installed and what versions?

EMC.CLARiiON.aix.rte
EMC.CLARiiON.fcp.rte

Also, it would help if you provided 'lsdev -Cc disk' as Dynamox has requested...

Regards

Conor

1 Message

January 27th, 2010 12:00

Have you tried the following solution:

emc166607

This bit us on a VIO server as somehow all classes of devices got unmanaged and no hdiskpower devices would get created.  Note, I found the solution AFTER I figured out the issue. 

Easiest way to check:

powermt display options

49 Posts

April 12th, 2013 08:00

I have similar issue, the VNX LUNs cannot be added as hdiskpower devices in AIX.

(The only difference in mine is these VNX LUNs are the replciated LUNs from the production site DMX using recoverpoint)

I checked the filesets, and it does not have the clariion filesets as mentioned by Conor.

ANd I have checked an other host which has no problem, and it has the Clariion filesets mentioned.

Can it be confirmed this is the problem?

ANd how do we upgrade these filesets??

49 Posts

April 15th, 2013 06:00

I have installed the missing filesets, and the hdiskpower devices are created.

No Events found!