Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 31st, 2008 12:00

Can I mix drive speeds in PV220S

I have some PV 220s U320 enclosures.  They have 10k rpm drives.  As the older drives are failing, it would be cheaper to replace them with 15k rpm drives since they're readily obtainable and less expensive than 10k rpm.  I don't care about performance, merely cost.  I would end up with arrays with mixed drive speeds, or have different speed online spares.

I tried this with a couple 36gb 15krpm drives which came with a server I purchased, and the controller could not see them.

Should it have worked or not?

Scott

884 Posts

December 31st, 2008 18:00

Same speed or faster same size or larger is the general rule when working with RAID arrays. If the drives are not being detected, check at the controller's BIOS or in different slots. There could be several reasons the drives are not showing up and is dependent on your configuration.

1 Message

April 13th, 2009 13:00

Hi Scott,

I was wondering if you had any issues with mixing the drive speeds. I have 300GB 10k drives and one just failed. I ordered a 15k drive, since it's hard to find the 10k's anymore, and I'm hoping there won't be any problems. And since the new 15k will go in as a Global Hot Spare, I'm not sure if I'll see any problems untill anouther drive fails and it tries to use the 15k.

Thanks,

Chris

April 19th, 2009 12:00

No issues, just make sure you update the firmware on your controllers (both the ZEMMs in the PV220, E13 I believe and the raid card, like a perc3 dc 9m912 is 199D).

No Events found!