Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2013 12:00

Dell 3200i Virtual Disk Not On Preferred Path error

I have a MD3200i connected to 2 different networks.  1 connection from each switch to each network.  hence 4 connections total.  After I increased the size on my second virtual disk, now i get this error when viewing my array, MD3200i Virtual Disk Not On Preferred Path... is it critical?  It's also showing that the preferred owner is the controller module in Slot 0 but the current owner is in slot 1.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks. 

JC

• 

7.1K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 13:00

Hello vballrican,

The error is not a critical error.  Here is what you will need to do to resolve the issue.  The alert on the system is due to a virtual disk not being on the preferred path. When virtual disks are created, they are assigned to one of the two controllers as a preferred communication path. If that path is not available – due to a network issue, controller reset, etc. – the array will communicate via the alternate controller. In some cases the communication does not shift back to the primary path when it becomes available again.  To correct this you just need to manually redistribute the virtual disks back to their preferred paths.

To redistribute virtual disks:

1.            Open Modular Disk Storage Manager (MDSM)

2.            Click on the Support tab

3.            Select Manage Raid Controller Modules

4.            Click on Redistribute Virtual Disks

•             You will get an alert telling you that this will disrupt communications if you do not have the multipath drivers installed. You can ignore this message and proceed. If you still have access to the virtual disk that is not on preferred path, you have multipath drivers installed

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!