Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2015 14:00

Initialize array in PowerVault md3220i

We need to 'sanitize" our PowerVault md3220i SAN Arrays so that all of the data is removed completely.  What is the best way to do this?  Do I reset the Storage ARray configuration? Or is there a way to initialzie the array(s)?

Thank you.

April 13th, 2015 10:00

So, what you're looking to do is simple, but may require a little footwork. There are indeed some L2 level commands that can clear the SAN back to factory settings. It's called a 'sysWipe', and with a little research you may find instructions.

As they're level 2 commands, I'm not at liberty to directly share them in this format. You could also open a trouble ticket with us, and an L2 can wipe the config for you over the phone as well.

Either way, it's possible, and simple to do.

I hope that answers your question. Have a good rest of the day!

2 Posts

April 16th, 2015 15:00

Thank you for the information.  Is it possible to clear the SAN back to factory settings remotely or does someone need to be in front of the device?

Also, we have two DR4000 backup applicances that need to be cleared.  Is there a relatively easy way to do this?  And can it be done remotely?

13 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 08:00

To wipe the configuration using the sysWipe option, it is best to be connected via serial to the controller using the password-reset cable that came with the system (rather unique cable with a PS2 port on one end and regular DB9 on the other end).

Keep in mind that this does wipe the raid configuration, but doesn't scrub the drives to purge data.

The easiest way to purge data would be to delete the current raid configuration, change it to a single raid 0 with all drives, then connect a server and let it use some software to wipe the drive in question. The raid 0 is purely to speed up the process (no parity to calculate). After that you would do the 'sysWipe'.

April 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hello, rchipman.

SysAdminTX is exactly right as far as the drives go. Yes it can be done remotely (remote into a server that has serial access, etc), though you're not safe from whatever unknown might occur.

As far as your DR4000, in the "DR4000 Restore Manager" document, there are explicit instructions on a factory reset of the machine.

Found on page 3 here: downloads.dell.com/.../dell-dr4000_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

This as well, I would not recommend running remotely.

Again, to clarify, remote options ARE available, but we usually err on the side of caution in these instances as we aren't familiar with every variable in your environment. So, use your best judgment.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

No Events found!