Alston518
1 Nickel

Issue with Powervault MD1000

So I have a powervault MD1000 I bought used off of a guy. I am trying to connect it to my ESXI 6.5 server. I am having no luck. My server is a PowerEdge R210II, running esxi 6.5 with an LSI HBA card. When I connect to my server, my SAS port on the controller stays orange, it does not go green. the manual states that this means ""1 or more links into the port are not connected" . I currently only have one SAS cable connected to it. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is the amber light even an issue? I feel like it needs to be green.

Second question, can I plug sata drives directly into this? I thought I heard before I could. I also thought I heard that if I use SAS drives, I need both controllers connected, is this true? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Issue with Powervault MD1000

Hello Alston518,

With an MD1000 you need to use a PERC card or a Raid controller to see your MD1000 on the server.  Since you are using an HBA that is why the MD is not showing as it is looking for a raid controller.  once you have a raid controller that is in your server & you connect it to your MD1000 you should see all the drives.

You can use sata drives in your MD1000, however you will need to have interposer boards on the drives so that they will be seen by your MD1000.  You MD1000 has a SAS backplane in it, & that is the reason you need the interposer board for the drives.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Alston518
1 Nickel

Thanks for the reply. So is there really no way to use the MD1000 with an HBA? It absolutely has to be a RAID card?

0 Kudos

Hello Alston518,

The MD1000 doesn’t have any raid controllers in them, it has EMM (Enclosure Management Module) in them.  The EMM need to be connected to a raid controller in order for the drives to be seen.  Here is the link to the support matrix & if you look on page 3 it list out the supported controllers. https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-md1...

DELL-Sam L
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Alston518
1 Nickel

Alright I see what you are saying. I was trying to not do raid though. My last DAS (IBM EXP3000) I connected to this HBA and ran it with a virtualized program called FreeNAS which uses the FreeBSD operating system. So I basically just connected the array to my HBA and then the freeNAS program was able to see all the drives and just combine them to act as one large NAS (no RAID whatsoever). So i was hoping to do the same type of setup with this device. 

0 Kudos

Hello Alston518,

An MD1200 you can connect it to a SAS HBA and it will work. with the MD1000 they had to be connected to a raid controller. 

DELL-Sam L

0 Kudos