Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 27th, 2018 17:00

LTO-8 Drive not recognized by LTFS Configuration Manager

I'm trying to get a new PowerVault LTO-8 single drive to utilize LTFS.

I installed the drive attached to a Dell HBA, and Windows shows it as operating correctly in Device Manager:

devicemanager.png

Next I installed the latest IBM LTFS Single Drive Edition (Version 2.4.0.1) but the drive didn't show up in the configuration manager.

ltfsconfig.png

Next I installed the IBM diagnostic tool and ran an LTFS readiness test. And it passed all the tests:

ltfsreadinesscheck.png

I've tried a few different drivers and looked for possible firmware updates (even though the drive is brand new). But still no luck getting the IBM LTFS Configuration Manager to list the drive as available.

LTO-8 is so new, I'm having a hard time finding support posts with a similar issue.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

February 28th, 2018 04:00

i am also facing the same issue

• 

7.1K Posts

February 28th, 2018 11:00

Hello tcharve, I am looking into this to see if there is an update that needs to be applied in order to get the drive seen. I will post back when I have more information on how to resolve your issue. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Posts

March 1st, 2018 14:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for looking into this. I'm eager to find a solution.

Thought I would share a theory that I have that may help.

The IBM software requires the tape drive to have firmware of HB81 or later. My Dell LTO-8 tape drive currently has a firmware of H9E3, which I'm assuming is rather new since the drive is brand new and I see no firmware updates on Dell's support site.

The IBM LTFS log indicates this error: "Drive firmware must be updated. Upgrading to HB81 or later is recommended."

So my theory is that the IBM software doesn't recognize the Dell firmware version, so it won't recognize the drive. The only two solutions I can think of are:

1. IBM updates their LTFS software to recognize the Dell tape drive firmware as compatible
2. Dell creates a firmware version that is recognized by the latest version of the IBM LTFS software

Neither of those solutions are something I can solve for. Please keep in mind, the documentation for the Dell LTO-8 drive clearly states that it is LTFS compatible. That was a key part of my decision to purchase the Dell branded drive.

Please let me know if you learn anything else.

Thanks!

1 Message

November 21st, 2018 22:00

I realise this thread is almost a year old but has anyone has any success with these Dell IBM LTO8 drives and LTFS?

I've tried getting through to Dell support who says I need to get in touch with IBM who then won't help because I don't have an IBM account.  Getting  close to selling these drives and go back to another vendor whom I know it works well with LTFS.

No Events found!