Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2014 05:00

MD3000i - Loss of Path Redundancy

Hi,

we bought a used MD3000i and exchanged the disks inside with new disks, initialized the RAID 6 and finished the setup without problems.

Now, that we mounted the iSCSI disk and started formatting it, a lot of errors pop up in the MDSM, as are:

- Expansion Enclosure - Loss of Path Redundancy

- Individual Physical Disk - Degraded Path  (one message per disk)

- Degraded Physical Disk Channel

As it seems, Controller 1 is the trouble maker - but I'm not sure about it. The steps from Recovery Guru don't help. So my questions now are:

- How to proceed, as there is no support any longer on the storage?

- Can the MD3000i be degraded to a 1-controller-setup?

Thanks for any help,

Ralf

• 

6.9K Posts

August 27th, 2014 11:00

Hello Ralf,

The drives that you inserted into your MD3000i were they previously in an MD system or no?  Also you can run the MD3000i on a single controller setup as that is referred to as simplex mode.  One other thing is have you tried to connect the serial cable to the affected controller and do a serial connection to see what the output states?  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2014 12:00

Hi Sam,

the drives inserted were running before only in Perc5 or Perc6 RAID controllers of PowerEdge servers, to test them before the PowerVault arrived.

Is there a procedure to switch to single controller mode? As if I shutdown the second controller and run a re-check, the errors are not wiped and the PowerVault keeps blinking amber.

connecting the serial cable I did - but honestly, this is my first MD and I'm not quiet sure which commands to use to run a test or read out logs.

Thanks,

Ralf

6 Posts

August 27th, 2014 14:00

Hi Sam,

I will do so tomorrow. Thanks so far.

Ralf

• 

6.9K Posts

August 27th, 2014 14:00

Hello Ralf,

If you have the serial cable that comes with the MD3000i then what you will need to do is to connect it to controller 1 (which is the controller on the right side of the unit if looking at it from the back of the MD 3000i) & do the following Startup a terminal emulation program like putty, teraterm, minicom or hyperterminal using these terminal settings (115200-8-n-1).  Once the program is up & running then you will want to start the capture text and then remove the raid controller and wait about 1 minute & then insert it again.  Once the controller is inserted you should see some text start scrolling.  If the controller fails to boot you will start to notice that it is in a boot loop from the text & at that point you can stop the capture text & stop the serial connection.  Once you have the log I will send you a private message so that you can send me the serial capture so that I can review the log & see what the controller is doing during post.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

6 Posts

September 15th, 2014 03:00

It is now 18 days since I sent in the data - are there any news? Is there anything I can do?

• 

6.9K Posts

September 15th, 2014 08:00

Hello Ralf,

I sent you a private message to your email listed in your profile.

1 Message

September 18th, 2014 12:00

Ralf / Sam,

I'd also like to know the procedure for putting a MD3000i into single controller mode as well.  I have a dual controller setup, but one is stuck in a boot loop.  I'd like to permanently remove the faulty controller and run it with a single controller.  As of now, when I remove the faulty controller, the SAN runs in non optimal mode.

I appreciate any info you can provide for me.

Thanks.

6 Posts

September 19th, 2014 01:00

Hi Sam,

the last message I received was on 2014-09-15 22:20

Cheers,

Ralf

• 

6.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 15:00

Hello mr coko,

I was waiting on the iSCSI session logs from you as in the last email that i had sent to you to try & run the 2 commands to clear the physical disk channels I stated if that didn't work then I would need to get the iSCSI session logs from your MD so I can see what is going on.

6 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 16:00

Hi,

oh, sorry, I was waiting to receive there also something like a

how-to to generate those session logs....

Regards,

Ralf

No Events found!