Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2015 23:00

MD3000i Management Connection Issue

I inherited a setup that I am attempting to gain a deeper understanding of and am unable to manage the MD3000 powervault.

The Setup is a Single PowerVault 2950 with 2 SAS 5e cards installed.  A single MD3000i connected to the 2950 through 2 SAS cables and has 2 Ethernet cables plugged into a switch.

The 2950 is running Server 2003 R2 and has the drives mounted/LUNs accessible from within disk management so there are files on the storage array and they are accessible in every way.

The issue comes in when I try and actually manage the array.  I open the Dell Storage Array Manager admin console and it is unable to connect to the array.  I do not know what the IPs are for the network cables and it just can't seem to connect using the SAS cables for management.  How can I console into this thing to get the IPs or reset them or anything to be able to connect to the management utility?

• 

6.9K Posts

February 9th, 2015 10:00

Hello Phillip99,

So what you will need to do is if you have the serial cable that came with your MD3000 you will need to connect it to the serial port on controller 0 ( the controller that is on the left side of the unit if looking at it from the back) & you can then change the IP address on the controller.  Now if you have 2 controllers then you will need to change management IP for the second controller as well by following the steps listed below:

1. Startup a terminal emulation program like putty, teraterm, minicom or hyperterminal using these terminal settings (115200-8-n-1).  

2. Send a from the terminal shell. This is accomplished by within HyperTerminal or Putty, use from within Minicom on Linux systems.  

3. When prompted for input within 5 seconds, press for the service interface menu.  NOTE: Only capital "S" works here, lowercase "s" will not be recognized for this command.  

4. The user will then be prompted for a password. The Password is: supportDell  

5. The menu options available are.

1) Display IP Configuration

2) Change IP Configuration

3) Reset Storage Array (SYMbol) Password

Q) Quit Menu

Now if you need to change the IP configuration then it will only change the IP configuration for the management port of the controller that you are connect too and not the iSCSI ports.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

December 16th, 2015 10:00

I need a help on this post ...

I connected the cable and did all you said here, but the putty gives me a black screen and thats it !!

tried to connect to my MAC too but same thing happening ... Do you have any idea what am i missing there ?

December 16th, 2015 12:00

Hello, meisam.kisomy

I would try using the 9600 then. It may be the array is on older firmware, and not responsive to 115200.

Also, if you're using a dongle, you'll have trouble with that as well. USB to serial adapters rarely work with the MD's.

Give that a shot, and let me know.

So:  9600 : 8 : 1 : none : none.

December 17th, 2015 13:00

Thank you for fast response

So far i have tested all these options :

115200 : 8 : 1 : none : none  --> come 1 and3

9600 : 8 : 1 : none : none  --> come 1 and 3

I tried all top ways on onboard COM port on a tower and USB dongle for macbook

Made the cable shorter ( 6 feet ) cuz i thought it was long for that rate and did all the tests

restarted the MD3000i with Console cable in it several time

pull the controller out and put it back in when the MD300i was online !

Used the built in software (Modular disk controller ) scanned the IP range that i thought might be it

NO RESULT !!

I dont know how to test the controller to see if its dead or not  :-|

BTW this is the map im using for Console cable to PS2

1 Message

January 5th, 2017 14:00

Hi there did you ever get this resolved I am currently having the same exact issue. 

No Events found!