Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2013 05:00

Power Vault 745 switches itself off

Hi

I've got a bizarre case, my PV 745 switched itself off and I thought it was dodgy power cable/power cut or sth. It appears there must be some kind of hardware faults since the server is no longer booting. Once switched one will show initial Dell logo screen, the progress bar will get to the very end and on the next POST screen the server stops. The only way to switch it on again is to unplug the power cable for couple of seconds. I disconnected all hard drives, RAID card and removed memory, the result is the last message I can see on the screen is the it recognised the memory size change and that's it.

I don't think it gives and beep codes even though it's fairly loud in a datacentre.

Any ideas how to find the fault?

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

July 16th, 2013 10:00

Does it still shut down/power off when you strip it down to no drives, no PCI-X/PCIe cards and just a single dimm? If not, start adding 1 part at a time (dimms first probably) till you find when it starts shutting down.

If it does still shut down when you've stripped the system, try another dimm in another slot to eliminate a bad dimm or dimmslot.

If it then still persists you're probably looking at the motherboard or powersupply. You can try swapping the cpu if you have a compatible spare, but usually CPUs only cause this if they are overheating due to poor cooling or no cooling.

No Events found!