Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

February 21st, 2019 14:00

Reset manager password ME4024

We started the configuration of the controllers which required the default password be changed. Unfortunately the new password was not documented and now we can't log back on. Can someone please post factory reset instructions to reset the default manager account. I could not find anything in the ME4 Series Storage System Administrator’s Guide

• 

7.1K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 14:00

Hello ProjEng,

You will need to contact support in order to reset the password.  Also, you will need to setup maintenance window as the controller needs to be rebooted post following password reset procedure.  You will also need the cable that came with your ME4024 so that we can connect to the serial port on the controller.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

November 12th, 2019 10:00

Just found this out and hope it can help others:

The process is to login with login:restoredefaults and password:serial number of the controller which is the same process as HPE MSA's oddly enough.

After factory reset, you can login with manage and password: !manage

The password of the controller is shown through USB console port output during boot if you can't find it.

It's a shame Dell and HPE support can't just provide straight forward answers and it comes down to the end users to figure these things out.ME4024 Console.jpg

February 26th, 2020 05:00

1. Connect to the CLI port
  2. Login with --> login:restoredefaults / password:serial number (you can find this above the login line)
  3. After the reboot login from CLI with login:setup / password: (no password, leave blank)
  4. Now you can add your new account and manage the SAN

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

May 13th, 2020 12:00

It looks like they removed this in the "G280" firmware so you can't reset the users and ip addresses anymore:

Settings changed by restore defaults

Users (preserved)
CLI session timeout 30 minutes
Tasks and schedules (preserved)
Management Controller debug logs (preserved)
Storage Controller event logs (preserved)
Time/date and NTP settings (preserved)
Network IP settings (preserved)

1 Message

June 24th, 2020 03:00

Hi all!

Thank you for sharing those information.

I'm in the same situation of undocumented "manage" user password on a ME4024 with GT275 firmware.

I have some questions, just to be sure, using the procedure described by @eggman_2112  and by @Nice Tutorial EZ:

1) both controllers reboot simultaneuosly?

2) only controllers' IP, and manage user's password are reset?

3) All other settings are preserved (volumes, LUN mappings, etc.) or should I arrange for vMotion al VMs out of the storage? Obviously I need to keep downtime minimized

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Best regards.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

June 24th, 2020 11:00

These are settings changed with G280 firmware. I couldn't find the same document for G275 firmware so It's hard to know which settings are reset or preserved.

Please read Appendix A Page 464

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/powervault-me4024/me4_series_cli_pub/settings-changed-by-restore-defaults?guid=guid-f67944ab-9e4d-4720-9f5d-753cef1004c2&lang=en-us

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/powervault-me4-cli_en-us.pdf

I always try to back up all data and settings before attempting factory reset.

FYI Once you upgrade to G280 then you will no longer be able to reset the password without contacting Dell Support as per California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).

I would also schedule lots of time in case something goes wrong.

14 Posts

August 26th, 2020 01:00

Hi Everybody!

To reset users, You would have to login through CLI with user: restoreusers password: serial number

Hope this helps someone.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

December 6th, 2021 15:00

First check which firmware 275 or 280. If its 280 then you can't reset the password without contacting Dell. If it's 275 then you can reset the password. Each different firmware has it's own set of attributes which will be reset after doing a factory reset and the documentation isn't clear which firmware resets what attributes. Hopefully you don't have any data on there in which case you should have a backup somewhere.

If you do have 275 firmware and do factory reset then login again and check the settings to make sure there are no email addresses or other personal info and set it all up from the beginning.

Thankfully I don't have to do Dell product anymore...

1 Message

December 6th, 2021 15:00

We have the same issue with not having the password from the vendor that supplied us the system.  will the password restore also reset the SAN host setup/configurations or just the password?

Thanks,

wayne

74 Posts

April 26th, 2023 03:00

As a heads up, this works too for a Dell PowerVault ME5024

When you have SSH access, FOR NOW, I have not been able to get the serial number so it DOES seem you need to be physically on site.

Connect the microUSB cable to your computer to the port labeled CLI. Connect via serial using PuTTY for example.

User: restoredefaults

Password: (serial number of the controller)

Description: It restores the default of what? Because IP is the same, etc. so...not sure what this does.

User: restoreusers

Password: (serial number of the controller)

Description: This deletes the user and password you set. If you have lost the user name and / or password, this is the one you want to run first (or second, if you ran restoredefaults)

User: setup

Password: (blank, no password)

Description: This enables the first run web wizard, which allows you to reestablish a new username and a new password.

Im waiting to see if there is a method to get the serial number ( no, it isnt the one that SSH shows using "show controller") to write it down in documentation.

EDIT: I just noticed something: The "serial number password" on the ME5024 might be the mac so first thing to do is connect thru SSH to the controllers and run "show controllers": This will give you the serial number and the MAC address of each controller. Run this and write it down!

No Events found!