Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

34 Posts

December 29th, 2019 11:00

Setting up ME4 with ADAPT

I have an ME4 with 2 controllers and 24 1.2TB drives.  I think I want to use Dell ADAPT but I'm unsure how best to configure it.  One 24-drive ADAPT?  Or two 12-drives?  I have more reading to do but I could use some guidance.

• 

8.7K Posts

December 30th, 2019 10:00

Hi,

One group would allow it to have more options to redistribute the data, however either one should be fine.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

December 30th, 2019 11:00

Isnt that one group assigned to just one controller and the other one just idled around?  IIRC the Midsize Storage Sizer gives a warning when sizing a solutions with just one group.

Regards,
Joerg

34 Posts

January 3rd, 2020 21:00

I got to spend some time with the ME4 today, I like it.  I followed the setup storage wizard just to see what it would do. I chose virtual storage, it created 2 storage pools, each with a 12  drive ADAPT disk group.  (ADAPT requires a minimum of 12 disks).   It used every other disk to make each array, meaning the first disk group is disk 0,2,4,6, etc, and the second disk group is 1,3,5,7, etc.  I believe each controller primarily focuses on one pool, keeping the load nice & balanced.

I have a couple dozen 1.2TB SAS drives.  ADAPT uses 33% for striping, so when all was said & done I ended up with two 9.6TB disk groups.

Next I created some volumes, mapped them to hosts, and setup some VMware datastores.  Very easy.  I think this unit is going to work out nicely.

No Events found!