Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2005 19:00

Windows Backup Utility with 122T autoloader?

Hi everyone,

I have been successfully backing up our 2650 poweredge onto our 122T LTO2 using the windows backup utility (with server 2003).

I haven't figured out the "auto" part of the autoloader yet. We have a huge amount of disk space (>2TB -- it seems huge to me), so it definately requires more than 1 tape per job. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the autoloader to automatically load in the next tape after the first has finished using the Backup utility... I'll come in the next morning, and the computer will be sitting there with a message saying something to the effect of "please insert the next tape".

I have looked into the hard core veritas software, but I find it prohibitively expensive, and am trying to make do with the pre-installed software.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Mike

1.2K Posts

July 14th, 2005 20:00

NT backup doesn't really support libraries. It see's the device and treats it as such, a standalone.

yes, veritas is expensive but Dell support other backup software. Look into yosemite tapeware. Less expensive than veritas: http:\\www.tapeware.com

4 Posts

July 16th, 2005 00:00

Thanks --

I think I've figured it out. With our 8-tape autoloader, I've set up a system that does nightly incremental backups, and does a full system backup on Fridays.

For NT Backup to recognize the various tapes, I went through and backed up a single file to each of the tapes, naming the tapes stuff like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...
Once I'd done this, the tapes appeared in my library.

I then set up a bunch of scheduled jobs using the NTBackup wizard. Once the tapes had been added to my library, I was able to schedule my backups such that backups on monday use the monday tape etc... Even cooler is that my full system backup is big enough to require two tapes, and changes them automatically without prompting me for anything.

I may have overlooked something, but I've been watching the logs and haven't seen any errors...

I haven't heard yet if they'll just add the money saved (by not having to buy veritas) onto my salary yet... :)

g.
No Events found!