Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 12th, 2018 06:00

remove MD3000i drive

Hi,

We have a MD3000i with 12 drives, one of the virtual drives has 3 drives and is configured as RAID 0.

last year one of the drives of this Virtual drive was defect. we did restore the data from a backup and removed the defect drive.

Now we would like to reuse the othere 2 drives. How can we safely remove  these drives for further reuse?

Thanks

• 

6.9K Posts

March 12th, 2018 08:00

Hello mrshahin,

If the virtual disk that the drives are part of are not in use, then you would want to remove host access to the virtual disk and then destroy the virtual disk.  Once the virtual disk has been destroyed then you can use the drives in another MD system or a Dell server & you shouldn’t get any errors about foreign configuration.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

222 Posts

March 13th, 2018 08:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your update,

Unfortunatly when I go to the tab Modify-Delete Disk Groups and virtual disks, there I can see only the virtual disks that are healthy and dont see anything regarding the virtual disk that has a defect physical disk.

Aany suggestion?

• 

6.9K Posts

March 13th, 2018 09:00

Hello mrshahin,

So that sounds like the virtual disk has been removed.  In the modify tab if you select add free capacity does it show any free drives?  If it does and the drives were part of the virtual disk that failed, then you should be good to remove the drives.

222 Posts

March 14th, 2018 01:00

Dear Sam,

Thank you as Always for your reply,

When I go to the modify tab if you select add free capacity I see this:

Md30002.JPG

Also at the summey page see this,

What should we do? can we just remove the other 2 phsical drives or add them to a different virtual disks?

Md30001.JPG

• 

6.9K Posts

March 14th, 2018 05:00

Hello mrshahin,

So looking at the screen shot that you provided it looks like your RAID 0 is still configured.  So what you will need to do is to delete the virtual disk.  In the modify tab if you select Delete Virtual Disks, you should be given an option to select the disk group with your RAID 0.  Once you have selected the disk group, then you can hit the delete button on the bottom left of the window.  It will ask you to confirm that you want to delete both the virtual disk and the disk group by typing yes in the window.  This will delete both & once that has completed you can confirm that on the summary tab.  If all looks good on the summary tab then you are good to pull the drives.  Now you will get a warning that a drive has failed and been removed. 

222 Posts

March 15th, 2018 01:00

Hi Sam,

As I previously mentioned, when we go to the tab Modify-Delete Disks groups and virtual disks dont see the faulty disk group:

Md3000i2.JPG

The above disks groups are in use.

Any suggestion?

• 

6.9K Posts

March 15th, 2018 10:00

Hello mrshahin, Can I get a support bundle from your MD3000i so that I can review it to confirm that the drives are not part of any virtual disk? I will send you can email that you can reply to with the support bundle. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

222 Posts

March 19th, 2018 01:00

Hi Sam,

I did upload the info you have requested.

Thanks

• 

6.9K Posts

March 21st, 2018 06:00

Hello mrshahin,

Thanks for the support bundle.  So I can see that from the support bundle that drives in slot 4 & 5 are unassigned.  So if you wanted to pull those drives, and use them in in another system you can as they are not part of any virtual disk.

222 Posts

March 21st, 2018 06:00

Hi Sam,

Any update?

Thanks

222 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 06:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your update,

Can we add them to a an exsiting virtual disk without disturbing the data on the working virtual disks? as you know we have still 3 disk groups and also at the physical disks I can see this, the slot 3 is empty because we did remove the defect disk and the slot 4 and 5 shows 2 unassigned disks.

sandisks.JPG

When go to the Add Free Capacity show me this, is this the group with that 2 unassigned disks?

Md30002.JPG

• 

6.9K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 07:00

Hello mrshahin,

Yes you can add them.  Since drives 4 & 5 are showing as unassigned then you can add them to either virtual disk, & increase the size.  Now it will take a little bit to see the new space as the adding of the space is done in the background and will only use a max of 30% of resources. 

222 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 01:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your update,

I was wondering if it is possible to add one of these disks to virtual disk and the second one to a different virtual disk?

I ask this because as you can see in my last screenshot when try to add the disks we see only a disk group and not the individual disks.

Thanks

• 

6.9K Posts

March 26th, 2018 09:00

Hello mrshahin,

When you add drives to a virtual disk the need to be added in pairs.  Since you only have 2 drives available you can only add both drive to one virtual disk.

222 Posts

March 27th, 2018 12:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks as Always for update,

There is no data lost on the virtual drive that we are going to add these 2 drives to right?

Also you mean if we want to add other new drives to the virtual drives they must Always be in pairs?

Thanks

No Events found!