Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

7 Posts

September 17th, 2019 10:00

Multi-Port Graphic Card Activation Issues

I have a desktop equipped with a 4-port graphic card. I connect 1 port to a monitor and 2 ports to 2 LED TV sets. When I boot the PC up, only the monitor is activated and displayed the content. But the 2 TVs are not displayed any signal at all - even though they're turned on. I have to unplug one HDMI cable (of a TV) from the card and re-plug it back again, then the 2 TVs are awake and displaying. I have to do this every time the PC turned on. Please let me know what I should do to activate all the graphic card's ports when I boot up the PC.

7 Posts

September 17th, 2019 18:00

Thanks for your response.

Graphic card: Radeon Pro WX 5100

TV set is Sharp LED smart TV

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

What is the exact model of your DT and what's the model of the GPU?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

There is a Precision column but sometimes people don't find it since it's under "Workstations."

Are the drivers up to date for your Radeon Pro WX 5100?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

Thanks for replying.  What is the exact model of your PC?  My using "DT" before is short for "desktop."

7 Posts

It's Precision 5820 Tower 425W Chassis

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 18th, 2019 06:00

@Lampo thanks for getting in touch. I have a Windows 10 laptop sitting in front of front of me with two monitors connected via HDMI to the dock. Whenever I power on the system I only get display on the primary monitor until the system logs into Window then all 3 displays function correctly.

From the information you have provided, with your current setup only the primary monitor displays correctly until you reseat one of the monitor cables - is this correct?

When you boot the system into Windows and have all monitor correctly displayed, have you configure them correctly from within the graphics card properties?

If you boot the system into the BIOS, do all monitors display the BIOS menu correctly? (To access the BIOS, power on the system and keep tapping the F2 key repeatedly in quick succession)

Do you only have your displays connected to the add in graphics card?

Has it ever worked previously?

Alan

7 Posts

September 18th, 2019 17:00

Yes, all drivers are up-to-date.

7 Posts

September 18th, 2019 17:00

Thanks a lot, Dell-Alan D.

As you described, I connect 2 monitors to the card, I have both of them displayed when I log in to my account. I don't have to change anything in the BIOS.

But in my case, I have a monitor and 2 LED TVs connected to the card. Only the monitor is activated. After logging in, there is still only the monitor displayed. The 2 TVs are still not displayed (they're both turned on). I have to re-seat one of the HDMI cables, then both of them are displayed.

I enter the BIOS setups, but I can't find anywhere to configure the TV sets.

I suspect the issues are not from the PC or the graphic card, but from the TV set. I might have to do something with the TV to make it wake up when receiving signals from the PC.

Would you think so?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 19th, 2019 03:00

@Lampo it sounds like it could be a configuration of the TV's rather than the graphics card.

What happens if you try the following scenarios.

Have the TV's on but not on the input for the Precision i.e HDMI1. Power the Precision on as normal so that it shows on the primary display. If you then select the input's on the TV's do they display on the screen?

Have the TV's off put the Precision powered on. Now turn on the TV's and select the correct input - do they display correctly now?

Is it only 1 TV or both TVs that don't display?

Have you tried different HDMI cables?

Alan

7 Posts

September 25th, 2019 17:00

The HDMI cables are new and in good condition. I tried different scenarios with the TVs. I turned them on first, and turned the PC on. I only had the monitor displayed and both TVs still having no signals. Then I left both of the TVs off, and turned the PC on, logged in, turned on the TVs. Still nothing displayed on them.

To make them displayed, I just unplugged one of the TVs' HDMI cables from the card, and plugged it back, now both TVs displayed bright and shine!

I don't want to make the TV as the main desktop. They're mounted on the wall 7ft away in front of my desk. I have a 27'' monitor on my desk.

I wonder if the length of the HDMI cables cause the issue. They're 20ft long.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 27th, 2019 02:00

@Lampo I wouldn't think the cable being 20ft long would cause issues as they work fine if you reseat one of the HDMI cables. If the cable was at fault I would have expected to see the same sort of issues.

Does it matter what cable you reseat to get the monitors to function.

Have you tried changing around the HDMI ports on the card itself i.e switch around your primary monitor and the 2 external TV's to see if it makes any difference?

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details.

Alan

7 Posts

September 30th, 2019 10:00

Thanks for your time, Dell-Alan D.

I think I'll have to live with the current situation. It's just a little bit inconvenience but nothing too serious.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 1st, 2019 04:00

@Lampo thanks for the update. That's understandable. I suspect it's the graphics card HDMI ports that may be causing issue here or a config setting on the card. 

If you want to continue troubleshooting at some point in the future, please get back in touch.

Alan

No Events found!