Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

6 Posts

January 11th, 2019 06:00

Precision 530 A,C service lights and orange power button

Hi, I didn't have luck with my previous post, but maybe it was because it was posted on the wrong forum or that in fact the problem actually changed.

I have the following situation: I have two Precisions 530 MT and neither of them boots.

The one that I'm now trying to fix has this weird issue where I changed the PSU AND the motherboard and it's always stuck on the same place: gives me A and C orange lights in the front panel and blinking orange light in the power button. I read the manual and it says graphics card problem, but I tried to install some old agps I have and nothing changes, even letting the slot empty throws the same error code. Also, I no longer think that is motherboard related since I've changed it with one I bought from ebay and it has the orange led light in it, so power gets through there.

I'm at a lost, I'd appreciate any help I could get. It's been years since that PC broke down and I really would want to fix it. Thank you!

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

January 13th, 2019 17:00

Dell's diagnostic indicators for the Precision's didn't go back far enough show me letters, like A & C.  However, if the lights were 1 & 3, that would suggest a memory problem.  Table below from Optiplex, as that went back farther.  Hopefully this still helps in some way.

I take it the GPU's you're trying once worked in your 530's and aren't drawing too much power.  You're on track with testing to see if it was a bad GPU.

Blinking orange power light typically means bad PSU or the PSU is unable to distribute power.  That isn't without acknowledgment you replaced the PSU already.

Dell Precision Diagnostic Indicators

ABCD VID Video subsystem configuration or failure
  • Ensure the video cable is connected to the correct port
  • Reseat any add in graphics cards
  • If fault continues, remove any add in graphics cards and test with known good monitor and video cable
  • Contact your technical support once you know which part the fault follows

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

January 13th, 2019 17:00

Hi @bmcowboy,

May be you could take a try with this one too?  I noticed your very accurate and know your stuff.  Accuracy is something I strive for with every post I answer, but this one was a little trickier; and I wanted to see it get an answer.

573 Posts

January 13th, 2019 20:00

Thank you @bradthetechnut. You flatter me immensely!

And @FabriciusFab, I was touched by your words “It's been years since that PC broke down and I really would want to fix it”. I know how it feels bro. It’s a big challenge when talking about a system which 1st released on year 2001… Hopefully I can contribute some useful information and help you get your wishes come true ^^

Quick Reference Manual

Diagnostic indicators description usually not appears or not detail enough on user guide or service manual. You have to look into the quick reference manual. Here's what you need:

Dell Precision Workstation 530 Setup And Quick Reference Manual

It tells you that Microprocessor and/or VRM module leads to the problem, not AGP.1.jpg

- VRM

As microprocessor is comparatively sophisticated hardware and seldom leads to problem under normal operations, you may focus on VRM first. VRM slot located next to CPU. See page 34 of the User’s Guide:

Dell Precision™ WorkStation 530 USER'S GUIDE

2.jpg

And they looks like this:
3.jpg

I found this thread about 530 CPU upgrade stuffs. It contains discussion of VRM compatibility and voltage requirement. You may study it in deep.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Precision-530-CPU-upgrade/m-p/2197262

Again, hopefully these information helps you to get your system reborn. Good luck!

January 15th, 2019 06:00

Thank you for your answers!

I've been troubleshooting this thing a little more and even with both processors out and without the VRM it continues giving me the same A and C orange lights at the front panel. Will read that post you sent and see if anything changes, but I'm left puzzled by the fact that, as I said earlier, tried without the CPU and VRM and it still gives me the same problem. 

Anyway, thanks again, and I will post again if that doesn't prove to solve my problem

573 Posts

January 15th, 2019 09:00

No need to be puzzled. "Boot without CPU and VRM gives you the same result" was absolutely a normal result while the system alerts you problem with CPU/VRM, just because they were not exist! You won't get into the POST screen without CPU.

As you got 2 sets of 530, try exchange parts between them and see if any different results. Say, mark the one you're trying to fix now as 530#1. Then, what's the condition of 530#2? Can it boot into POST screen? If yes, try to swap PSU from 530#1 to 530#2 and see if it still able to boot into POST. And if yes again, it proves the PSU#1 is in normal functioning. Then you can fallback the PSU and go on another test with other parts.

CAUTION: Remember to fallback any changes before go to next test. Always keep every test with only 1 change of factors helps to narrow down the root cause of problem. Do not swap all PSU/CPU/VRM from #1 to #2 and test together.

Noted that "different results" could be a successful boot OR boot fail with different alerts. If diagnostic indicators lights in different way during swapping test, record it down and check on the reference book.

If you followed the suggestion above and still can't lead you to the cause of problem, try taking photos of the PSU/CPU/VRM with product label and post here. I may help to check with their compatibility.

Good luck Man!

January 22nd, 2019 17:00

Thanks for the thorough answer, now I know I need to get my hands on a good VRM module, because maybe mine are broke and that's what's keeping my machines from booting up.

Unfortunately here in my country is very unlikely that I can get my hands on one. Will try and search on ebay and see what I can find.

Thank you so much again. It's nice to know there's people out there who knows their stuff trying to help!

573 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 18:00

Anytime, dude ^^

I benefit a lot from this community forum and would like to share anything I could.

January 28th, 2019 13:00

So... problem has changed. Installed the CPU with the VRM in a correct way, I think, but now I plug it to the AC and it gives me orange power button and B light on front. I read that it's a power problem, but it happens in both motherboards and with the two (i think) good PSU I have. Now, if it's of any help, one of the two PSUs make the power light stay solid orange and the other one flickers. Don't know if that's something to have in mind. Anyway, I'm continuing to try and narrow down the problems, appreciate any help!

1 Message

August 30th, 2023 13:14

Hey i know this is a old tread but did you manage to fix the issue becose i have the dame problem and i don't know what to do 

No Events found!