Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MF

March 30th, 2018 13:00

Precision T5810 RAM Upgrade Problem

Hello...first time poster, long time watcher...

I have a Precision T5810 with 32GB of RAM.  I purchased another 32, but the machine won't take it.  If I remove the original 32 (in the white tabs), and replace it with the new 32 (also in the same white tabs), it boots up like normal.  But 'adding' to what's already there produces no POST, and a flashing power button light that appears to be blinking 3-5.  The stickers on both sets of RAM are the same (I know, still could be wrong).  But it basically doesn't like anything in that second set of slots (black tabs).  If it didn't like one set over the other I'd chalk it up to the wrong RAM.  But it takes either/or...but not both.  Ideas?    GO!

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

April 1st, 2018 09:00

Does the system have one CPU or two?

On some Precision models, four banks of RAM are dedicated to each CPU - to use all eight you must have two CPUs installed.

April 2nd, 2018 05:00

Thanks for the reply.  I believe it has one.  I had heard something along those lines but assumed it would simply not register the additional memory installed; rather than not even allow it to boot up.

1 Message

January 20th, 2020 21:00

• Hi any news concerning your issue? I have the sameo

2 Posts

April 24th, 2020 04:00

Hello,

I have the same problem, my device has a lots of issues booting with 64GB RAM. Has anybody found a solution yet?

Thanks

No Events found!