Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

June 27th, 2018 09:00

Single GTX 1080ti into a Precision Tower 5810

Hello everyone!

I'm writing this because DELL Support didnt have any experience or waranty support tested with Nvidia GTX consumer video cards.

Some weeks ago we purchased an EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB after several researching we didnt get help with Dell Support because they only have tested the QUADRO series of nvidia. So.... we did a lot of tryouts to get this video card work...

We have a 685W PSU with two 6-pin conectors free into the case. The GTX 1080ti needs for a 8-pin connector and a 6-pin conector to work... so we bought this adapter: 6-PIN to 8-PIN PCI ADAPTER. After that we tried this conection: a 6-pin conector to 8-pin using the adapter we bought. Then we didnt get any image on our monitor... 

So we thought that the power isnt was enough to feed the requirements of the Video Card... so we bought another bunch of cables including, SATA to 6-pin or SATA to Molex........ after serveral tryouts the final resolution was that our monitor it wasnt waking up with the signal, so we tried into another monitor and it worked so perfectly that we already tried our 3D apps and put the equipment under stress for hours just to know that works fine.

Final Result

You will need:

• Adapter. 6-PIN to 8-PIN PCI ADAPTER
  • 685W or higher PSU (Power supply Unit)
  • Another Monitor if your current monitor doesnt show any Signal
  • This post to help you :)

Aplications Tested

• 3dsMax2018 with Corona Render
  • Lumion 2018 (rendering stills and video with ultra settings) getting 80 celcius degrees of temperature during the stress work of rendering this images and videos.
  • Archicad
  • AutoCAD

Consider this in the future

• consider a well ventilated space, the case of this workstation (5810 Precision) doesnt have enought ventilation unless you use the space in the back of the case for a 7 or 8cms Fan (Maybe). Or consider using one face opened to the exterior and ventilate it from outside.
  • monitor allways the temperature and use of the videocard.

Current Setup

• 1 HDD used of the 2 Free bays.
  • Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50Ghz.
  • 32GB Ram
  • CD / DVD Unit
  • I removed the Nvidia Quadro K2200 that came from factory.

Hope it works well for you, this is my experience and im not responsable of any damage you can do to your system if you dont know how to handle this devices. For me just works fine and so good now.

-Rodrigo Flores

1 Message

August 17th, 2018 07:00

What kind of power supply extended card do you have on the power supply? If you have a model number for the part that would be great. I am trying to set up this exact scenario and the wait time on the 825W power supply is another two months. Would be great to get the 685W instead if available

Pic of the part from another thread but this only has a single 8 pin connector

January 8th, 2021 14:00

i've found a ten pin power adapter that plugs into that 2nd CPU power connector on the power distribution board, and provides an 8 pin and 6 pin pci-e power connector. i've then got a 6pin to 8pin power adapter on that 6pin end, so i have 2x 8pin PCIe power connectors.

currently running an E5-1650 V4 xeon CPU, and 64gig (4x 16gig) DDR4 2400 ECC ram, an Nivida GTX3080 (dual 8pin power required) in the bottom PCIe x16 slot, an intel X540T1 10gig ethernet card in the other 16x slot, and an NVMe PCIe adapter fitted with a 1terra NVMe SSD in the top slot.

prior to this, i was able to run the 3080 with the pre-existing 6pin power with some 6-to-8pin adapters - it never let me down in game. but it'd properly switch the machine off - not just crash, the machine in 3D Mark. there is a bit in "timespy" just as the figure with the looking glass is walking past the butterfly case in the museum. It'd crash every time at the same place. i figured it was just the software, but then i was able to replicate repeatedly with other benchmarks. furmark however was fine, even though it claimed the GPU to be drawing 350Watts power...

i've not had a hiccup since switching over to the new ten pin power adapter. i couldn't get the machine to boot with a dual 8pin adapter replacing the dual 6pin adapter on the 8pin "PCI-e VGA" socket on the power distribution board - so i still have that as an option if i want to put another card in there. this is on the 685Watt PSU.

February 16th, 2021 21:00

Did you ever get your system figured out?

21 Posts

February 18th, 2023 02:00

I did not have free SATA and I used CPU2 connector in addition to VGA1, it's been working fine so far.

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Fixed-Workstations/Dell-T7810-7610-5810-10pin-CPU-connection-to-8pin-PCIe/m-p/8352512/highlight/true#M13511

1 Message

March 29th, 2024 19:32

@paper plane​ or anyone else that tried that do you know which 10pin to 6+8 connector that is?

And would the following possibly work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMeap-Supply-Adapter-Server-63-5cm/dp/B07LBKC21M?th=1

No Events found!