Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2020 01:00

T3600 Graphics card upgrade

Hello everyone.  

I recently acquired a T3600 tower, running a 1st gen 1650 cpu. Since this, I have cleaned it out and upgraded the boot ssd (mx500 1tb) 32 GB RAM and a decent sound card. It's fitted with the 635w power supply and is now running the latest BIOS. The one area still to be addressed, is the graphics card.  Originally, I was thinking along the lines of a GTX 1660 super, but have recently widened consideration to include the RTX 2060 super founders edition, hoping to keep up for a couple of years at good quality 1080 gaming.

1660 super has a lower power draw which may help with cooling considerations.

2060 super higher power draw but better performance.

Advice and suggestions please? Thanks in advance

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2020 08:00

You should use DUAL 6 pin to 8 pin

Anything other than this cable or similar is NOT SAFE

https://www.amazon.com/PCIe-Adapter-Power-Cable-Graphics/dp/B085VQ94YJ

If your precision cover has a cover bracket that wont allow the cover to close get a 5 pound sledge hammer

and put the cover on a rubber floor mat then smash down the crossmember over the area where the card goes with the sledge hammer.  This will bend it and its going to be ugly but nobody will ever see it.

You put the cover on a rubber mat so that you dont scratch the paint when you smash the crossbar from the inside. Mine is squished almost dead center of the pic below.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/precision-t3600/docs

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t3600_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Be careful not to smash too much or you will break the cover latchBe careful not to smash too much or you will break the cover latch

May 23rd, 2020 05:00

The T3600 has two 6 pin cables going from the PSU to the GPU right? And those cards require an 8 pin connector. So I guess you will need either a (good quality) two 6 pin to one 8 pin adapter, or maybe replace the cable with e.g. this one and just use the 8 pin on that. (not sure if Dell PSU uses standard pinout, so best get a cable made for Dell T3600).

Also make sure the GPU you want isn't too big for the case, some GPUs are just too big to fit inside the T3600 case.

As for which GPU to choose I have no idea

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 07:00

Hi and thank you for your response.

There are a couple of options which I think SHOULD fit OK at a squeeze. I suppose the issue that concerns me with the 2060s might be a potential bottleneck with the E5 1650 Cpu not allowing me to use the extra performance. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to gaming and gaming builds, in spite of building my own PC's since Celeron slot 1. ☺ Totally understand your point re the power cable, yes there are two available.

I was hoping to find a post where these two cards had been used in a same or similar build before caning the wallet. I have spent days on YouTube / websites trying to weigh up pro's and cons, without coming up with much TBH

June 5th, 2020 18:00

Here are a couple of my builds using v2 Xeons, I think you will find the 2060 Super to be a good pairing!

https://imgur.com/a/K7GNAdO

https://imgur.com/a/qTMH7fj

3 Posts

June 5th, 2020 21:00

Many thanks Adam.

1 Message

December 17th, 2020 08:00

Hi Cole - I also have a T3600 running the same CPU and want a new graphics card. What did you end up using, and how did it work out? Thanks, Matt

1 Message

December 22nd, 2020 07:00

I don't normally sign in to post things, but wanted to help.

I purchased a GTX 1660 Super.

First problem is the 6-pin power connector on the T3600 and the card requires an 8-pin power connector.  I was able to find on Amazon, a 6-pin female to 8-pin adapter.

Second problem, I've yet to solve is that the card is too big to close the case.  There's a big bracket on the case panel that is suppose to "hold" the previous video card in place.

I'm trying to determine the best way to make that work. Its a fairly heavy duty bracket, tin snips might work, but it would make things ugly, which isn't a big deal for me.

The card itself works and I was able to do some testing in Lumion (which I wasn't able to run previously with the original video card).

Good luck! 

1 Message

May 7th, 2023 21:00

I recently bought a T3600 on eBay for 60$ and it has the 425W psu and no dual 6 pin connectors. It has an 8 pin port on the power supply breakout board that is labeled "vga2". Is there any way to use this port? Also, I am going to upgrade the stock E5 1603 0 to a E5 2680. Will this work? Any suggestions for RELIABLE GPU power adapter cables? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

• 

25.7K Posts

May 7th, 2023 21:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

4 Posts

September 28th, 2023 19:17

@ADSMarcus​ Lay on towel take hammer Hit Hard that Bracket on the inside of the side panel is only Tack welded on and pop's right off with ease / I have 8 of these Dell T3600's all upgraded to E2690's 64gb 1600mhz running quad mode (Impressive) and 1080TI's and RX580's all work fine, the 1080TI can pull to much power from the 635 watt PSU on occasion and shut down system running stress tests - bout it ,  Raid 10 SSD's - the Drives the Raid 10 is the SlOW Part now the CPU and RAM is fine !!! 

October 4th, 2023 21:14

@dkw41127​  What did you use for power connection to the GPU?

I have a couple 1080ti (ASUS and GeForce) that have 8 pin and 6 pin connectors. My 635 watt T3600 has 2x 6 pin connectors. If you have something  that works with 1080ti and those pins, please post.

edit: Cleaned up format to appear literate.

(edited)

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2023 16:18

@Jacob.j.boyce​ I Don't remember the brands but it is a Good 6 to 8 Pin Adapter's and just plugged it on in, the 1080TI Will under Stress Testing Pull to much power and shut down the system - my others have RX 580's 9gb, 570 8gb etc and all run just fine at full power draw / That Dell T3600 635w PSU IS A Beast of a PSU- I have used these systems to mine 8 cards on ETH for several years and more,  with Prices so cheap just upgraded all of them to E2690's V1's and 64gb ECC 1600mhz Ram - the SSD's are the Slow part now those Xeon's absolutly fly and the ram in these is Multiplied in Quad mode can get to 54 GB Per Sec on Ram testing - as fast as V4 or V5 Ram,  Also I use Ramdisk on just 4gb of ram for all the Trash Temp, and Cash files which again is super speed up for these old systems - Wish could get better speeds out of the RAID 10 , it is the Slowest part of system now /  PS a 1080 non TI may be better than the TI with less power draw,  but both do work 

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2023 16:27

@Jacob.j.boyce​ On the Side Cover take Hammer, Stand up Side Cover hit down hard , it is only Tack weld not much stronger than glue and mine came of pretty clean and you can close cover back over 1080ti's etc and other cards 

No Events found!