Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2022 06:00

DELL Precision 7560 - BIOS not accessible

I have noticed that SSD in SSD-0 slot (under service door) is heating pretty much (up to 70 deg C) comparing to another SSD in SSD-1 slot. Of course, first one is system disk and second one is storage but still, heating of the first one is pretty annoying. Also, the one in zero slot does not have thermal pads and connection to inner cooling system (ssd-1 and ssd-2 have thermal pads that are pressed onto SSD and on the copper foil inside bottom plate). My idea is to move SSD from SSD-0 to SSD-2. So, I physically reposition the disk and system drive is operational.

But, I made another problem - in past days I played with BIOS settings and there is a setting that will lock BIOS if bottom plate is removed. I understood that with a BIOS admin password I will be able to access BIOS but it is not opening at all (when F2 is pressed). Tried, with and without docking station attached. Even returning SSDs to the old places. But, BIOS is not accessible any more. System is working (writing from it) but any future change in BIOS - I am not able to do it.

Tried with Ctrl + ESC - nothing.

Even tried F12 - nothing appears.

6 Posts

August 8th, 2022 13:00

After whole day playing and searching on the Net - here is the solution:

How to Recover the BIOS on a Dell Computer or Tablet | Dell US

But, I used the USB method (first time seeing the method where holding keys and putting the power jack into the laptop).

Restored the BIOS.

And then returned the setting to Factory defaults.

Also removed admin password (just in case:).

Also regarding SSD's - don't understand why DELL is putting System SSD into SSD-0 port when that one is without proper cooling. Now, both my SSD's are in SSD-1 and SSD-2, cool enough (at the moment 38, and 39 deg C). 

Problem solved. 

• 

25.1K Posts

August 8th, 2022 06:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 9th, 2022 02:00

@blada-n 

Thanks for not including that in your first post.

Regards,

U2

6 Posts

@U2CAMEB4ME I was frequently receiving suggestions from DELL-cares yesterday, one of them was the one that you suggested few hours ago. Strange that you did not read/see how I resolved the issue (post from yesterday also). When I tried with RTC reset, Laptop LED blinked twice (DELL support suggested it should be 3 times). And after that, still could not initiate BIOS with F2.

Do you think I should edit initial post and mention what I have tried without success?

6 Posts

Thanks, but that didn't help. Check my solution below.

No Events found!