Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2021 19:00

Precision 7550, buzzing, popping sounds over the audio jack output

Hello,

I've got this Dell Precision 7550 and it works perfectly fine except the annoying sound issues over the audio jack output (the internal speakers works fine).

Steps to reproduce

- Connect external speakers to audio jack.

- Nothing is playing, but suddenly the speakers start buzzing/popping (you know, like when you touch the audio jack by hand).

- When some audio is playing, it works fine and no buzzing is produced. Buzzing happens only when nothing is playing for certain time (a minute or few).

What I've tried (and didn't help)

- Update all drivers, having the latest BIOS

- Completely reinstall Windows 10 and update drivers

Hypothesis

- It seems there is some audio driver/firmware, which is turning off the audio jack when nothing is playing and it produces these annoying buzzing sounds.

Notes

- My speakers are completely fine, they work perfectly with my desktop and also with another 2 notebooks (incl. Dell 7540).

April 19th, 2021 03:00

Finally I was able to fix the buzzing sound issue by installing an older driver for 7540 (note that's for the previous Dell model, not even for 7550).

Particularly, it's Realtek 6.0.8838.1.

Dell-7550-audio-driver.png

From curiosity, I tried to install again the latest driver 6.0.9098 for Dell 7550 and boom, the buzzing/popping sounds started again!

So, it's obviously the Dell audio driver or firmware which periodically turns off the audio jack output, which then produces these buzzing sounds. Dell, please fix that in following audio driver or in BIOS firmware!

1 Message

December 7th, 2022 12:00

I think I found a workaround after I read the linux fix. I disabled the Audio enhancements in Windows 10 and I have not heard the noise anymore today.

ponchopv_0-1670443316107.png

April 28th, 2021 09:00

I've observed this issue also on Ubuntu based Linuxes (Ubuntu 20.10 and Pop-OS 20.10). It appears like constant buzzing/popping sound, which doesn't stop until you play something, then it appears again.

I was able to fix it by disabling the audio suspend feature on Linux. Particularly, I commented the line in file /etc/pulse/default.pa

# load-module module-suspend-on-idle

And after restart, the sound on Linux works normally. However, some buzzing still happens between the start of the computer until Linux fully boot and run.

So, it seems the issue is not just in the Windows driver, but in the chip/firmware controlling the audio jack output. Who knows, maybe it's an issue of the Realtek ALC3281 audio chip used in this notebook.

But note that I run Windows and Linux on several computers and the Dell 7550 is the only one having this sound issue on my stereo audio system.

• 

16.8K Posts

April 28th, 2021 09:00

Michal Dvorak,
We will need to investigate this issue further.  I will add the information into the case notes.

May 28th, 2021 03:00

UPDATE: I already tried 3 different audio amplifiers connected to the audio jack and the popping sounds happen with all of them. So, the fault is not on my end of audio jack, but in some "feature" of Dell/Realtek audio card, which probably turns off the audio jack and thus incurs the popping sounds like when you touch a bare audio jack by hand.

Eventually, I got one amplifier with USB DAC input and I'm going to use it now, it works perfectly with both Windows/Linux and I won't need to rely on the awful Dell/Realtek audio card drivers anymore.

So, my recommendation is, if you want to connect an audio system to your Dell notebook, get either external USB sound card or an amplifier which already incorporates an USB DAC. The audio jack output of this Dell notebook is really useless.

1 Message

October 20th, 2021 07:00

rolling back to this driver was the winner...recent update I would get a "pop" before any new sound, for example an incoming google chat message would get a fuzzy "pop" then the "doink"...rolling back the driver, no fuzzy "pop"

1 Message

November 10th, 2021 10:00

Had this problem with my 7740 and this helped. Thanks!

@Michal Dvorak wrote:

Finally I was able to fix the buzzing sound issue by installing an older driver for 7540 (note that's for the previous Dell model, not even for 7550).

Particularly, it's Realtek 6.0.8838.1 from 12.11.2019.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2021 09:00

Have a brand new Precision 7560 using an external USB to Audio connecter and am also experiencing this issue.

1 Rookie

• 

115 Posts

December 24th, 2021 07:00

Thank you but unfortunately, I don't have this driver on my system. Earliest is 6.0.9172 (5/18/21). I'm returning my Precision 7760 (the 2nd one - both had the same issue) to Dell. Speakers less important than incessant popping noise, which I'm concerned will damage my laptop over time.

December 25th, 2021 03:00

Yeah, the audio jack output on these Dell Precisions is really awful (didn't have such problem with any of my previous desktop or laptop computers). AFAIK the only solution to get normal (non-popping) sound is to connect speakers via USB, which means to get either USB DAC or an audio amplifier which has USB input.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2021 08:00

Also experience this when using Headphones from the Audio Jack on the computer.

• 

25.2K Posts

December 27th, 2021 03:00

Thank you for the update.

Can you confirm if all system drivers are updated including the audio drivers?

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

December 27th, 2021 12:00

Hi,

Here is my experience to this extra pop sound.

1) Uninstall latest Realtek Audio Driver

2) Restart the PC

3) Install previous Realtek Audio Driver version 6.0.9098.1, A05

If the sound is now good use the current setup.

If you "must" have the latest version 6.0.9175.1, A07 then install it again and hope the best.

If you still heard the pop install totally something else after latest Dell package.

https://github.com/AlanFinotty/AAFDCHDriverMod/releases

The link above is not recommended for beginners.

Have you tested with and without Dell Optimizer?

Have you read the Important information from Realtek driver page?

This audio driver requires the Dell Optimizer application to be installed to have full functionality. Dell Optimizer is a separate application that can be downloaded and installed from www.dell.com/support/home under the Drivers and Downloads Application category.

I must say that I am quite skeptical to all extra software made by hardware vendors. Sometimes they bring more problems than solve.

Today I run Dell 7550 and DAC with Genelec speakers at home. I managed to get rid of extra sound effects when I used audio jack but nothing beats a DAC.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2022 03:00

I'm late to the party here, also have had the same issues forever. While i didn't bother to deal with the driver, for the longest time i realised that you can keep the driver 'busy', and thus not crackle/pop turning the jack on/off (not what's actually happening but you all understand). It doesn't even have to play anything.

For me i go to a random website that plays white noise (not video, just a background anything), and just mute that tab. That seems to fool the device that sound is always coming out and thus keeping it quiet.

No Events found!