Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

May 12th, 2022 10:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

ExpressConnect/Outlook Issue

The Dell Optimizer update that was released at the end of April is causing issues with Outlook in our environment.  I'm just writing this to hopefully save others some grief if this occurs elsewhere.

After the upgrade, Outlook will either disconnect every few hours or get stuck at loading profile.  The only way to resolve it is to restart the PC.  This has happend on Precision 5760 & 7550 models as well as Latitude 7420.  Uninstalling ExpresConnect from the Add/remove programs applet resolved the issue for several in our environment.

Just hoping that if anyone else has this issue this will help. It took me about 7 hours to figure out what was causing it!

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

August 1st, 2022 09:00

Same issue here. Outlook, Teams files, Microsoft Company Portal app, all of the same behavior. I had not dug in that deeply as we have a limited number of the Precisions, and it was intermittent. However, it causes bluescreens from time to time. Took a look at the crash dump this morning an it pointed to the driver for Express Connect - ExpCo10X64.sys. Checked Dell for updates to my drivers and Dell applications, nothing newer than what I had installed. Uninstalled Dell Optimizer 2.0 eliminate this program. Kudos to posting this. Thanks

• 

25.7K Posts

May 13th, 2022 04:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 17th, 2022 04:00

If this works you're a legend. I've been pulling my hair out for days! Can I ask how you figured this out? 

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

May 17th, 2022 05:00

Ha!  I appreciate the kind words.  I have now had well over 40 systems that have experienced this issue and this has fixed every one of them.  I have also had a many of them disconnecting from Teams with Express Connect installed.

This issue was complicated by installing the most recent Windows Updates and also our endpoint protection (Sophos Intercept X).  I removed all of the those as well as the Windows updates which didn't resolve the issue.  I eventually went back through and saw the C:\Program Files\Express Connect folder was created slightly before this issue started popping up on my PC.  So I researched that a bit, figured it was not required and uninstalled it.  Instantly fixed.

My estimate of 7 hours is on the low-end.  I'm betting it was double that in lost productivity.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

May 17th, 2022 05:00

Not that I think it matters but the  .  This is affecting multiple PCs among all different models so it isn't specific to Precisions or that specific service tag.

Community Manager

• 

2.6K Posts

May 19th, 2022 07:00

Thanks for sharing the solution @96Chevyz71 !

I took the liberty to highlight the solution from your post for better visualization.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 27th, 2022 13:00

Please report this issue "up the chain." That update is definitely buggy and it should be patched or pulled so it doesn't cause this problem for others.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

September 8th, 2022 06:00

So, did you solve the issue removing both ExpressConnect Drivers & Services and Dell Optimizer Service from Add/remove programs?

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

September 8th, 2022 08:00

Thank you for taking the time to post this solution.  I'm going to try it on some of my many computers that have been suffering from this same issue for months.  I won't know if it fixed the issue for a day or two, as the problem is somewhat intermittent.  One user was forced to restart the laptop 5 times a day if they wanted to use Outlook and Teams.  Others would only have to restart 1 time a day.

We have tried scrubbing all O365 traces from the computer and complete reinstall of Office 365.  We have tried removing the user profile, upgrading to Windows 11, deleting the Outlook Profile and rebuilding it and none of these attempts have fixed the issue.

I've notified my Dell rep that brand new computers shipping from them 4 months after this was posted still have the issue.  

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

September 8th, 2022 08:00

I can also confirm that this is not limited to the Precision series laptops.  We also have had several Latitude 5520's that have had the same issue.

I can also confirm that when Outlook stops syncing with emails, Teams would also lose some functionality, particularly with the access to file shares in Teams and Sharepoint.

Even if you close Outlook, it will keep running in the background because it can't close.  It will show up as greyed out icon.  Even if you end the task, and then open Outlook, it still will not connect and deliver new email.  Only a full restart of the laptop will fix the issue.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

September 8th, 2022 09:00

I only removed the ExpressConnect Drivers and Services.  I left the Optimizer installed.  The issue with the way I did it is if you run Dell Command Update and install any update to Optimizer, ExpresConnect is reinstalled and you are back to square one.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

September 8th, 2022 10:00

We still have the same issue and do the uninstall when it pops up.  I noticed that each time Outlook was closed, it was not able to be opened again without restarting the computer.  I had to restart my PC over 14 times in one day.  I'm glad I took the time to figure this out becuase it has crushed us recently.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

September 9th, 2022 11:00

Thank you.   Didn't see the issue until I deployed 11 laptops.  And 9 of them are having outlook not connecting after a while.   I hope that dell recognizes this and fixes it. 

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

September 16th, 2022 04:00

Yes, removing Express Connect resolved the issue and I posted this so maybe it would help others experiencing it and with any luck Dell would pull the update. That hasn't happend yet though.

• 

17K Posts

September 16th, 2022 04:00

96Chevyz71,

I see that you resolved the issue yourself. 

No Events found!