Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

June 19th, 2019 05:00

External microphone not detected

I have a Precision 7520 laptop, and I am trying to use an external microphone. I have tried Apple earbuds, which have an integrated microphone and a headset splitter that provides separate mic and headphone connections. No matter which I plug in, the "Sound" dialog shows "Not plugged in" for the microphone device, as shown below. Headphones, I should note, ARE detected correctly.

I have tried both the latest Realtek driver available from Dell and the Windows native driver (i.e. I removed the Realtek software). With the Realtek driver, not even headphones were being detected. With the Windows driver, headphones are detected, but still no microphone.

Suggestions?

Sound Dialog.png

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

June 19th, 2019 11:00

I fixed the issue. The trick was getting into the Dell Audio application, which was not on the Start menu anywhere. It is located at C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe I went to Advanced -> Jack Information, I then clicked on the jack where the earbuds (or splitter) was plugged in and selected "Headset (with microphone)". This caused the microphone to activate. The "automatic popup" for audio devices being plugged in is blocked by my agency's group policy, which was further complicating matters.

11 Posts

May 11th, 2020 11:00

Super helpful - I couldn't figure it out either and your instructions worked like a charm!

1 Message

May 18th, 2020 20:00

Where can I access this Dell Audio application?

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

May 19th, 2020 11:00

On my computer it was at...

C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe

Matt

July 22nd, 2020 13:00

Dude... thank you so much. I'm so grateful I could almost cry! I've tryied every single solution on the web so far... I've been struggling with this issue for ages and running this... almost secret... Realteak program actually solved my problem. God bless you! ;**

July 27th, 2020 01:00

Yeah, that's the ultimate fix - and awsome easy!
I had the issue that none of my possible external mics were recognized - neither the one on my Dell Latitude 5580 nor the one of my Dell USB-C Dock.
Maybe I have a rights issue in Windows 10 with the WavesMaxx Audio software. I got a pop-up from it in order to change the type of the inserted device, but the external microphone was always greyed out in the Sound System settings.

Now I could fix it with the c:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RTkNGUI64.exe - I just chosse the correct type of the adapter - afterwards it worked directly (sorry the screenshot of the GUI is in german).

WLVg8HN02b.png

1 Message

August 18th, 2020 14:00

Hi there - I am hoping that your solution will work for my Logitech Headset H390 where my microphone does not work. It works on my other laptop. When I try and run C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe it does not do anything. I have even tried running as administrator. Please advise. thanks!

1 Message

September 22nd, 2020 09:00

@slampmanSF same thing for me--running it does nothing. Were you able to find a solution?

October 16th, 2020 03:00

Hi,

I don't have this file with my Dell 7540, I have only "Rtkupd64.exe" in C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek\Audio\InstallShield But I can't run it, nothing happen.

My external micro (jack 3.5) is not detected.

I f you have another idea ?

Thanks

Steph

micro.jpg

October 16th, 2020 04:00

[Resolved]   for Dell 7540

- Download driver for 7520 => Not to install but extract it.
- Launch device manager
- Right click update driver
- browse my computer for the driver (just browse to 7520 audio driver)
- Or choose from the list of drivers available (from the supplied disc)

After You could launch RtkNGUI64.exe into => C:\Users\YOU\Downloads\Dell 7520\RealtekAudio\WIN64

and you could active your micro.

If you have like me a combo jack 3.5 (headphone/mic) just click headphone with micro not just micro!

Bye and thanks to put me on the godd way ^_^

Steph

micro OK 1.jpgmicro OK 0.jpg

No Events found!