Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

12 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 09:00

How to report bios problem? 7520 eGPU charging broken

Hello All,

I have a Precision 7520 that I have been using for over a year with a eGPU at home (so can charge and hook up external monitors and peripherals with a single cable) which has been working perfectly for a while now.

I recently updated the computer to the bios 1.14.1 that was released. After updating the bios to that version with the Dell Command Utility, the computer will no longer boot with only the eGPU plugged in nor will it charge off it any more. When booting with only the eGPU connected (as I was doing before without issue) I get a error that it can't boot with a 65w power supply and a 90w is required.

I checked the bios options and the warning on under powered adapater is disabled. Also the message I am getting is not a warning but an error that I can not continue from. I need to unplug the eGPU then boot the computer and plug the eGPU back in when it is started. But once I plug it in after it is booted, it will not charge off the eGPU either.

When I downgrade the bios back to 1.13 from 1.14.1, everything goes back to the way it was working before without any problems.

It appears to me that there is a new check for boot power on the usb c connection that is now an error instead of a warning, does not provide an option to continue, nor does it respect the disable warning on low power adapters like the bios operates with the standard adapter.

3 Posts

May 24th, 2019 08:00

I have just purchased a Dell 7520 and It would be appreciated if you could give us the details for the setup of your egpu and if there was some trick to get it working. What enclosure (brand) are you using and what cards are supported by the thunderbolt 3 of 7520. Thanks

May 24th, 2019 10:00

I currently am using two external monitors, keyboard, mouse, and USB audio through it now. I have the Aorus Gaming Box 1080 edition. 

With BIOS version 1.13 and Thunderbolt software version 17.4.77.10.

Once the system was booted up with Windows 10 Pro x64 bit, just needed to manually start the thunderbolt application and then connect the device and it was detected just fine. 

After rebooting with "shutdown /r /t 0" it got everything including charging working 100%.

I would stick to nvidia cards 10 series. I have tried AMD with other solutions before and have had a heck of a time with them.

3 Posts

May 25th, 2019 08:00

Could u expand on this "After rebooting with "shutdown /r /t 0" it got everything including charging working 100%." Does it mean that there is no need to charge the laptop through the main charging port located at the rear the laptop?!

May 25th, 2019 19:00

That command in windows command prompt forces a full restart of the system and bypasses the use of fast start within windows. 

That eGPU has 65w power delivery. So it does charge the system without the need for the standard charger. That was until the 1.14.1 bios anyway. 

May 29th, 2019 17:00

Does Dell staff not monitor these forums? 

August 6th, 2019 18:00

Can anyone from Dell follow up with me on this? Not really getting anywhere with tech support on the phone and no one has answered this yet.

The BIOS update from July also has not fixed this problem either. It seems like they no longer want to have it boot with USB C Power Delivery 65W anymore even though it used to. And that for normal charging it is only a warning you can ignore and still boot and have the system charge from the attached charger. 

Any follow up from a Dell rep would be greatly appreciated.

August 6th, 2019 19:00

I am also pretty sure I narrowed down the change that broke this to verion 1.14.1 with this line

Updated Texas Instruments (TI) Power Delivery firmware.

What ever change that was done with this, no longer allows charging off a 65w charger which worked before and does not provide an option to continue or allow it like the regular bios does for a 65w charger on the dedicated plug. Any way to fix this Dell?

The longer this goes on makes me feel less happy with Dell.

August 12th, 2019 12:00

Anyone?

Bueler...

No one have any ideas on what is wrong or how that can be escalated on to Dell programmers?

No Events found!