Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

7 Posts

May 6th, 2019 09:00

M4800 SupportAssist bugged?

I'm trying to get all drivers installed on my M4800 (fresh install of Windows 8.1). First thing I installed, as administrator, was the chipset drivers from the Dell website for my service tag. Then I installed SupportAssist and ran it as administrator, allowing it to install a few other drivers...... including the chipset drivers (again). Restart and run SupportAssist and it says I need to install the chipset drivers (again). Install, restart, run it again and it says I need to install the chipset drivers(!) Something is obviously going wrong either with SupportAssist or (given the problems I've had with the Broadcom USH reporting misconfigured too) probably the chipset driver installation. But I cannot see what else I can do. I've tried two methods to install them, both running as administrator, and SupportAssist still thinks they aren't installed. Can anyone advise?

7 Posts

May 15th, 2019 19:00

Anyone help with this? I'm in a constant loop of SupportAssist recommending to install the chipset drivers and installing them.

7 Posts

May 19th, 2019 04:00

I'm starting to think someone at Dell has messed this up. The chipset driver that I get from Dell's website is the A04 version from 2nd June 2016, but SupportAssist is constantly trying to download and install the A02 driver from 12th September 2013. I suspect the reason is that A04 is showing a 'last updated' date of 15th Jan 2019 whereas A02 has a last updated date of 17th Jan 2019 - so maybe this is confusing the system into thinking the A02 driver is more recent than the A04 driver.

Can I get some kind of response on this? I'm wasting a lot of time on what seems like it could be a mistake by Dell.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2020 20:00

I recently got a M4800 and as recommended by Dell, the first thing I did was update the BIOS.  It went from v. A04 to v. A26.  Still, when I went back to www.dell.com/support, it was telling me to update the BIOS again.  This time from v. A26 to v. A26.  Though it seemed strange, I did indeed install another supposed BIOS update.  Dell is still telling me I need to upgrade the BIOS, but I'm done with it.  There are other "Urgent" updates that I have installed and Dell just keeps telling me I need to do it again.  I installed all 3 "urgent" updates twice, and I'm done, even tho Dell says do it again.

No Events found!