Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

January 16th, 2020 02:00

Precision 5510: performance degradation after firmware upgrade

The recently released firmware version 1.13.1 significantly degraded performance of my Precision 5510 (appears to be very similar to XPS 15, hence choosing this forum). By "poor performance" I mean various graphical applications were slow to respond to input events -- noticeable lag between pressing a key and the effects of that action, or jerky scrolling. This was especially visible in Chrome, but also in other browsers and applications, e.g. Thunderbird, IntelliJ. I haven't run benchmarks to determine whether the culprit was compute throughput, specific to GPU-bound workloads, or just responsiveness.

Restoring the firmware to version 1.12.0 (previous version, released Sep 2019) resolved the problem.

System details: Precision 5510, i5-6440HQ, Intel HD Graphics 530, running Ubuntu 18.04 with full-disk encryption active.

1 Message

January 27th, 2020 21:00

I also have a Precision 5510 running Ubuntu 18.04 and had the identical experience: The 1.13.1 firmware caused significant performance degradation, and restoring the 1.12.0 firmware restored the previous (good) performance. I'll note for other readers that the firmware update claimed to have failed at the end, just before the system restarted, but it seemed to have actually succeeded, and I'm now prompted to install the 1.31.1 update inside Ubuntu, but won't. I also removed the fwupd OS package to avoid prompts to install this version. Hopefully I can reinstall that if/when usable firmware is released.

No Events found!