Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

7 Posts

December 13th, 2021 11:00

Precision 5520 Bios Update Fails

Precision 5520 with bios 1.23.1 will not update. I have tried reinstalling 1.23.1 and tried installing 1.24 and 1.25.  The "preparing" screen shows up and the crawl bar completes, then the system reboots and nothing happens.  The bios just remains at 1.23.1.  I have also tried running each one from a flash drive, with the same failure.  Have shut down every possible running program and run every boot attempt as Administrator, with no luck.

Anyone have a way to get these bios updates to complete?

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

December 13th, 2021 16:00

There is something you can check before running the bios update:

If you are using BitLocker, turn it off.

Make sure to plug in AC adapter.

Removing any attachment devices.

December 13th, 2021 17:00

BitLocker is not running.

AC adapter is always plugged in

No devices are attached.

Antivirus and most every other not needed program is shut down.  

I right click on program and run it as Administrator.  The installation program starts and screen comes up showing old bios and update bios.  I click install and it runs "Preparing to install".  That completes and the PC reboots, but it just goes back to my Windows screen and never installs the new bios.  I am my wits end trying to get the dumb this to install.  I am now to generations behind on the bios.

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

December 13th, 2021 19:00

@MyBriteStar , next suggestion is to download this bios recovery image file and follow the instruction to run bios recovery

If it fails, another suggestion is to take note of your current bios settings and perform a hard reset on your workstation, set bios to default settings, run bios update, then change the settings back to match with your hardware environment.

January 3rd, 2022 10:00

I have now tried resetting the bios to default and also using the recovery image .rcv file to recover the current bios.  After doing both of these things I have attempted to update the bios from 1.23.1 to 1.24 or to 1.25 from windows, by using f12 and going to flash bios and by trying from a bootable usb.  In every case, the .exe file runs and then the laptop just reboots directly to the windows login screen with no update to the bios.  

This inability to update is really driving me crazy.  There are no errors, it just seems like the update attempts never go anywhere.  

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2022 14:00

I am also facing the exact same issue on my Precision 3510 laptop. Cannot update bios from 1.23.3 to later versions. And I feel this is the same problem stopping me to update from tpm 1.2 to 2.0

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2022 15:00

I just tried re-flashing the same bios (1.23.3) again and was able to get it working... Currently doing step by step upgrade --- 1.25, then 1,26 and upto 1.28

January 3rd, 2022 15:00

I guess I am going to have to give up and stay with the older bios, since I can't figure out anything more to do.  At least everything has been working normally.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2022 16:00

Same issue with my 5520.  Can not update bios past 1.23.1

• 

25.7K Posts

March 19th, 2022 16:00

Hello, we see you are looking for assistance. Click our DELL-Cares username, on the right click, "Send this user a private message". Provide to us the private Dell PC Service Tag.

July 15th, 2022 00:00

I have a 5520 and exactly the same situation stuck on old bios 1.23.1.

Yesterday looking into windows update (I'm still using Windows 10) I have seen in device update the bios 1.28 as suggested update, click that link and magically the laptop rebooted and installed the new bios without showing the usual dell update windows with old and new version.

I hope this can be useful to others in the same situation.

August 9th, 2022 07:00

This has been frustrating me all day today. Users laptop having problems freezing and crashing. I wanted to update the BIOS. Version when I started was 1.23.1. I tried the latest 1.28 BIOS and didnt work. It would say preparing and the blue bar would complete. Then restarted and straight back to windows. No BIOS flashing occured. I then tried 1.24, 1.25, 1.26, 1.27. All the same result. I tried everything I could think of. Disabling Intel Virtualisation. Making a FreeDOS usb stick and trying to install that way. Which didnt work as the exe wouldnt even run in FreeDOS even if on the download page it said it was compatible with MS-DOS. I also tried the BIOS updater utility from the boot menu. Nothing worked. In the end I tried downgrading the BIOS to 1.22. Which worked! I then tried installing BIOS version 1.24 and that worked too! So it seemed 1.23.1 was the problem BIOS version that was preventing any further updates to be flashed. I installed the rest of the BIOS updates in order and I am now on 1.28. The latest version. FINALLY after hours of frustration I cracked it! All sorted.

13 Posts

September 9th, 2022 22:00

I am happy to see you succeeded.  I am stuck and really am starting to wonder if Dell didn't do this on purpose. My thinking is they are pushing their customers into buying a service contract.   I have never seen multiple Precisions have the same issue. This is such a deviation from my career of using  Dell Precision workstations that it can't be a bug.  Please Dell tell me otherwise.  

11 Posts

April 19th, 2023 17:00

ASanon - thank you, my Dell Precision 7520 had the exact same problem & I too tried everything (/forceit), turn off uefi boot, boot to dos and run from there, etc, etc, NOTHING WORKS!!

But reflashing the existing BIOS v1.19.2 in my case...lo & behold the BIOS 'updated' (to the same version.) That was encouraging. Then I tried version v1.29.0 and ... success.!!! I have owned Dell machine for years (currently have ten Dells) but this does it. I tried Lenovo Ideapad & it is a dream by comparison. Also was given an Acer and it absolutely works the best but I'm still a little cautious about Acer hardware. (This Acer came with faulty screen, HD & battery - I replaced them all and it is working great...but I want several more years before I'm convinced.)

No Events found!