Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

24 Posts

May 19th, 2019 01:00

Precision 5530 loud fan with Adobe software

Since a couple of months I have an annoying issue with my Precision 5530 and two Adobe software (Lightroom CC classic and Photoshop CC both 2019 version). When I use them, the fan starts to spin VERY loudly, EVEN if cpu is not so high (software about 10% and total 20/25) and I DO NOTHING heavy with the softwares (eg. only open a file or showing a dozen of thumbnail in LR) The fan keep to spin in the same manner since I close the sw. Measuring the temperature with CoreTemp, you see a growth of degrees, but the strange is that with other softwares, cpu-use is higher (50/60%) but temp and fan remains low. I tried to run PS and LR with or without GPU (Quadro P2000), nothing changes. Nvidia drivers (430.64) and Intel Graphics 630 (26.20.100.6861) updated to last version Bios updated (1.10) Memory: 32 GB Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-8950HK CPU @ 2.90GHz[Cores 6] [Logical/Core 2] Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro I'm sure that in the past this doesn't happens... Could be an issue of the i9 ? (btw what a **bleep** of processor and waste of money... compared with a cheaper i7-8565U and in most of the benchmarks it is slower) Thanks in advance Sandro

10 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 03:00

I had similar problems constantly running the CPU at 100°C when "working" with the Precision 5530. I had Dell support change the complete Hardware but no change. The heatsink is *very* small for this model and cooling is not efficient.

What works for me is that I have disabled HyperThreading in the Bios to give the cores some more time to relax and I also disabled 2 of the 6 cpu cores. This gives me a moderate 40-50°C mostly while not spinning the fans up. Unfortunately this also means that I am only using 4 out of 12 possible threads of my i7-8850H.

I also have an external cooling where the laptop sits on that I activate from time to time if I fear of damaging the CPU due to the high temperature. I think DELL should not offer integrate such CPUs to the Precision 5530 when the cooling can not be managed by the heat sink.

24 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 11:00

First of all thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear that (especially that happens also with i7; I was start to thinking to ask a downgrade from i9 to i7) I try to disable Hypertreading too; for the first 5 minutes fan was silent, but in very short time working with Lightroom, temp about 95° and a lot of noise. I think I will re-enable because, I don't know if it is "placebo" but I feel it is slower in quite all operations. I agree that Dell with this PC has a big FAIL... I would not worry about damaging CPU (in the first 3 year warranty :-) ) If I melt down their bad-cooled cpu, it is their business!! thanks again
No Events found!