Start a Conversation

Unsolved

VF

4 Posts

December 16th, 2020 06:00

Precision 7550 randomly freezing with new BIOS (1.5.1) on Ubuntu 20.04

Hello,

I have a brand new Precision 7550 (Intel W-10885M, RTX5000, 128 Go Ram ECC) with a dual boot Windows for Workstation x64 / Ubuntu 20.04. Since the new update of the BIOS (1.5.1), I got random freezes (3 for now, but it never happened before) : screen is frozen, keyboard and mouse not responding, if a sound was played before the freeze the last second of it loops infinitely, etc... It does not necessarily happens when the computer is particularly solicited or a high temperature. Last time it happened I was editing a text document on emacs.... The only thing I can do is turn it off.

I use Ubuntu for my work most of the time, so I do not know if it also happens on Windows (I would need to use only Windows for several days to see if it happens). The only thing I know is that it happens on Ubuntu, and it happens since the BIOS update.

If someone from DELL could contact the teams who develop the BIOS to transmit a bugreport. And if anyone has any idea of what I could try (beside waiting for a BIOS update), let me know.

February 19th, 2021 09:00

@dbblackdiamond69  thanks for the report! Just in case, here is a link to so called "Fedora Spins" and one of the spins is with Cinnamon Desktop:

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

February 19th, 2021 09:00

@nerijusgaliauskas : a couple of weekends ago, I took the time to re-install my laptop with Fedora and KDE and I am happy to report that it hasn't frozen since. I don't know if the issue is with Ubuntu or Gnome, but it has been rock solid. I might try to install Cinnamon on it to see if the freeze come back or not.

Great suggestion and thank you for letting me know about it.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2021 08:00

Hi, turning off cstates fixed this problem for me. I did it through grub options but you may have to turn it off in BIOS to fix it for Windows as well. 

1 Message

May 11th, 2021 06:00

Hi, for turning off cstates, can I use  https://askubuntu.com/a/870235/1177524 solution ?
No Events found!