Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2022 07:00

Precision 7560 BIOS update bricked

Hi,

I have a brand new Precision 7560 (XEON/512GB HDD/32GB) out of the box, ran through Windows updates as part of set up process and identified urgent BIOS update to 1.5.0 (I believe). Laptop restarted and completed Updating Firmware process (Flash Progress reach 100%) - but machine will now not boot. 

Pressing power button, the power light comes on for 3 seconds then turns off. Holding down the power button results in power light staying on for 15 seconds, but turns off again. During this period the screen remains completely off. 

Have tried plugging in external monitor, booting with battery disconnected and using only AC power, also tried F2 and F12, as well as Boot Recovery (Ctrl + Esc) but laptop appears completely bricked. 

Machine purchased through ERP and associated corporate Dell Premium subscription, but no immediate solution has been offered. Loathed to replace the machine as lead time to get shipped for this one was 8 months.

Very grateful in advance for any advice. Thanks. 

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

June 18th, 2022 17:00

Nope. Its the exact same issue as last time. I even went as far last time as removing cmos battery. Not going that far this time though. I can’t believe dell has rereleased this bios back into the wild.

• 

25.7K Posts

June 20th, 2022 08:00

To provide the best of our support, start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to help you.

• 

25.7K Posts

June 20th, 2022 16:00

hello, we are here to help you with this problem. Please follow and send a direct message @DellCares for assistance. I look forward to your message!

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

September 16th, 2022 23:00

Sorry for slightly unrelated topic, my Precision 7560 experienced brick after making bios settings which seem to be safe. Therefore, I requested the motherboard twice for this reason in past. As the time I write this reply, my Precision 7560 currently run good as normal.

I was unable to boot into OS and even entered BIOS, except keyboard backlit blinked twice and system status light blinked twice, and then turned off and turn on again. The only thing my bricked Precision 7560 could do was LCD BIST Test. I thought that it was caused by CPU failure, but I was not sure.

I remembered that I made change in BIOS so far before bricking my laptop:

1. Enable powershare

2. Enable intrusion detection

When I changed BIOS setting before bricked the laptop, I connected two hard drive though USB ports (one type-c and one USB type-A with powershare)

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

September 17th, 2022 23:00

Part replacement is not enough because Dell engineer need to investigate the bricked motherboard for the root causes to avoid same problem happened again

93 Posts

September 18th, 2022 07:00

Dell needs to investigate these BIOS update problems! 

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 13th, 2022 10:00

We've now had this happen roughly 8 times with 6 Precision 7560's. Each requiring a board replacement. I Just received a new 7560 today for another employee. This time I decided to touch NOTHING and just run the BIOS update. It updated from 1.12 to 1.15.2 perfectly. On all the other ones we received from CDW we made some standard BIOS changes to support our companies needs. I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that one of those changes prior to the BIOS update is the cause. The two main ones that we change is USB Powershare = ON, and we always disable/nuke the Absolute chip.

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

October 14th, 2022 08:00

The "disable/nuke the Absolute chip" is that this setting here:

Enable Capsule Firmware Updates" in the bios.  It is under the "Update Recovery" Section?

I just disabled that on my 7760 since windows update updated my bios from 1.14.0 to 1.5.2.  

I am wondering if I should enable it before running future bios updates.  1.16.0 was released.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 19th, 2022 07:00

The option I'm talking about is under the Security Section for the Absolute Security chip. You have three options. Enabled, or Disabled, or Permanently Disabled. We always do Perm Disable.

No Events found!