Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2019 01:00

Precision 7720 Disable Raid and set dual boot

Hello all, I have a new Dell Precision 7720 with default NVMe ssd 256gb from my company, setted Raid ON. I bought an additional 2.5" SSD and i'm trying to set dual win 10 booting. When i want to run the default OS, I leave the BIOS config at it is, but if I want to use the new OS from additional SSD i have to set from RAID to AHCI and also the boot devices from UEFI to Legacy. My problem is that while I'm using the default OS in RAID ON, after few days, my other OS is getting system file corruption, so I have to reinstall the OS on the new SSD. I'm looking for a different way to boot both OS with same BIOS settings and set them completly independent from each other OS, so in case of any problems on one OS, the other one will not be affected. Is it possible ? Many thanks! Adam.

573 Posts

August 16th, 2019 23:00

Hi @Adam.M. ,

You may try to configure both hard drive into identical partition tabling method and boot options.

For the NVMe drive.

• Use utility like Macrium Reflect to create an USB rescue media.
  • Boot with USB rescue media. Image the NVMe drive as a backup file and store on the new SSD.
  • Reboot into BIOS. Change controller setting from RAID to AHCI
  • Reboot with USB. Restore image from SSD to the NVMe drive.
  • Now you should be able to boot from NVMe under AHCI with UEFI.

For the SSD drive.

• Reason that you have to Legacy boot for SSD is because it's in MBR table format. You have to convert it to GPT for UEFI boot.
  • Boot into Win10 on SSD. Press and hold SHIFT key, then click RESTART from startup menu. It will reboot into Win10 Boot Options Menu.
  • best-ways-access-windows-10-boot.jpg
  • Click Troubleshoot > Advance Options > Command Prompt
  • Type command: mbr2gpt /convert /disk:{disk number of your SSD}mbr2gpt.jpg
  • Now you should be able to boot from SSD under AHCI with UEFI.

See if it helps.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2019 22:00

Thank you bmbowboy for your solution, this helped me and seems all working, I have also set for each disk, offline mode the other one so I hope to prevent any future problems by using both OS.
No Events found!