pvdputte
2 Bronze

Re: Precision 7730 -- brightness adjustment stops working in latest BIOS

Today I accidentally installed the broken 0.12.1 update again through fwupdmgr while upgrading another device. Highly annoying and I refuse to keep it installed because with that version my system won't resume from suspend anymore either.

Is there any progress on this?

I checked in the UEFI itself and there the brightness keys still work indeed. Fn lock is configured as you say it should be.

0 Kudos
_Artur_
2 Bronze

Hi,
if you still have problem that laptop hangs on resume, then try this workaround:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1171330/laptop-started-crashing-on-resume-but-only-on-battery
I removed intel-microcode package and tried a few suspend-resume cycles, while on power, battery or any combination. So far freeze did not occur

Dell-Alan D

@ddmb thanks for the update. Before we address the issues with Command | Update and the Dock Firmware Utility - do the Fn keys now respond correctly after updating to the latest BIOS revision?

For Command | Update, I have seen that issue happen before. Sometimes it can take a few attempts for it to pick up new updates. Additionally, the screenshot you have attached doesn't match what you have described is happening. You mentioned that it's failing to check for outdated drivers - when was the last time you ran it?

Have you tried uninstalling Command | Update and then reinstalling it?

If you run Support Assist instead does it also give the same problem of picking up outdated drivers?

For the dock Firmware update utility, it's running the latest version. When you previously updated the dock firmware did you carry out the following steps :-

Post Installation
1. Power cycle the docking station after the firmware update is completed on Dell TB16, TB18, and WD15 docking stations.
2. Remove the docking station cable from the system.
3. Unplug the AC power adapter from the docking station.
4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to drain any remaining power.
5. Plug in the AC power adapter to the docking station before connecting the system.

If you try the above steps and then try the firmware updater again - do you get the same issue?

Has this only happened since updating to 1.12.1 BIOS?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@nanders1 similar to my response to @pvdputte 

can you advise if the screen brightness settings work if you change them while in the BIOS environment rather than the Windows environment?

Do the other Fn key features work correctly?

Do you have the system setup in the BIOS correctly as per this screenshot

If you flash the BIOS again to 1.12.1 does the functionality return?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
nanders1
2 Bronze

sorry for the late reply, I had to reflash the latest bios update again since I got back to 1.10 because the laptop doesn't wake up after suspend with 1.12

I can confirm that the bios settings are set as in your screenshot. I can also confirm that the fn + brightness settings are working fine in the bios menu.

I don't have Windows installed so I don't know what happens there.

On Ubuntu 18.04 all fn keys such as volume up/down, search, keyboard backlight etc are working, except for the brightness control and the suspend button. Also after automatic suspend the laptop frequently doesn't wake up and I have to long press the power button to switch it off before I can start it again.

All works fine when I revert to 1.10. I agree with an earlier comment that security updates are more important than fn shortcuts and we should always install the latest bios update, but the suspend issue is rather annoying.

Since it works in the bios menu, it doesn't work on Ubuntu, and I read here that it works on Windows, it is probably related to Ubuntu. Maybe I need to recompile some kernel modules or so. Although I never had to do this after bios upgrades with other laptops.

0 Kudos
ispisp
2 Bronze

Precision 7530 dim brightness problem

Hello to everyone,

I bought a Precision 7530 and I had to reinstall Windows for many reasons.

I have an annoying issue with brightness: I can't dim it with Fn+ArrowDown nor with using Windows Display settings.

I tried several workaround such as:
- updated BIOS to 1.12.1 (that mention "Fixed the issue where the LCD brightness cannot be adjusted." in enhancements list, BTW)
- disabled and re-enabled Intel UHD 360 from Device Manager
- uninstalled and reinstalled Intel's driver
- updated all the system with Dell Precision Optimizer
- disabled and re-enable "Generic PnP Monitor"

I installed Ubuntu 16.04LTS and the dim works forcing brightness level in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness after change some kernel parameters in grub.
So, this is not an issue of dim system

I ran out of ideas.. What can I do to resolve this issue? my eyes are close to vaporizing because of the extreme screen's brightness

Thank you in advance for your support, I'm looking forward for your answer
Best regards!!

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

Re: Precision 7530 dim brightness problem

@ispisp it's strange for you to have issues with both the Fn keys and also the Windows display settings. That suggests a corrupt version of Windows.

Were these issue present after installing Windows for your other issues?

As you have installed Ubuntu and it functions correctly that rules out any hardware issues with the system.

Do the Fn keys function correctly in the BIOS?

You mentioned that you updated to BIOS 12.1, but did it update correctly and show as 12.1 when checked in the BIOS?

Do you have switchable graphics disabled in the BIOS?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
janek134927
2 Bronze

Hi Alan

I have updated BIOS to version 1.12.1 twice but brightness does not work still even in BIOS menu. I have Windows 10 PRO for workstation. In both trials i have disabled switchable graphics, actually i have disabled switchable graphic from day that i got laptop from my dealer to keep performance as high i possible. 

Only way to fix brightness problem is in to downgrade BIOS to version 1.10.1 for my hardware configuration. I have never update it through Dell Precision Optimizer, i always downloading installation files from Dell support site and install it manually.

My Precision 7730 have warranty till 2021 so should i contact to your local support service for replacement of hardware ?

From my point of wiew it seems like a problem with BIOS or EC firmware after update.

Hardware configuration:

Precision 7730

Intel Xeon E-2186M 

Nvidia Quadro P5200

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@janek134927 do you have the system setup correctly in the BIOS to function with the brightness keys?

I have had other users confirm that the fix did work when they updated the BIOS.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
CJSAMARAS
2 Bronze

I am experiencing the same issue after the bios update.  All was working fine (for 6+ months) until I ran the update after the holiday.  Now the system does not respond to changes in the brightness settings.  The FN keys adjust the set point, but the set point does not actually change the display brightness.  This is the case for the slider withing windows and the slider in the bios.  This is is very likely a bios bug.  Any suggestions before reverting to the older bios version? 

0 Kudos