Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2019 05:00

Which docks will work for Precision 7530?

After browsing through all the trouble with the TB18DC dock, I'm wondering if there's some other dock that can be used with this system? It seems that the WD15 (or any other dock with a single connector) may not be able to charge it.  

In short, does anyone have a stable setup using a 7530 with a dock?

199 Posts

I think if you want to use 1 power supply, and have that power both the dock and the laptop, then your only option is the TB18DC dock.

If however, you're willing to use a power supply for the dock, and another for the laptop, if you wish to go Dell, you could use the TB15, the TB16, maybe even the D3000 docks.

To verify compatibility, I think you'd be wise to consult the support page for the 7530, and/or consult Dell Chat Support.

3 Posts

Understood; thanks.  I think a WD15 would work with the separate power supply as well.  Maybe Dell will give us some additional power supplies if we can't stabilize the TB18DC

199 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 17:00

There is a limit to the amount of power that a Thunderbolt cable can transfer. 

18 Posts

January 5th, 2019 03:00

@ppmcit wrote:

After browsing through all the trouble with the TB18DC dock, I'm wondering if there's some other dock that can be used with this system? It seems that the WD15 (or any other dock with a single connector) may not be able to charge it.  

In short, does anyone have a stable setup using a 7530 with a dock?

I have the TB18DC dock + 7530. It has a dual Thunderbolt connector, and there is an extra 240W power supply for the dock itself. It can charge the 7530. Sometimes I get the error message that the power supply is not sufficient, but I think this is only a software error, as it is powerful enough.

However, I would not recommend using this dock. Even after all the hassle of upgrades, it is a hit and miss, it has a constantly runnin fan (sometimes quieter, sometimes louder, but it is always humming on my desk). My main issues is USB mouse and keyboard sometimes doesn't work after a sleep state power up. The best solution I found is to plug the USB hubs directly to the laptop.

I would rather recommend to go for a third party dock, from Startech.com for two or three screens, or one of the recommendations from The Wirecutter for a single screen.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-thunderbolt-dock/

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Laptop-docking-stations/triple-4k-usb-c-laptop-docking-station~DK30CH2DPPD

199 Posts

January 5th, 2019 05:00

FWIW: to ignore that error message, I simply changed the associated setting in BIOS when it first came up. If the white LED is on, the unit is charging the laptop.

I worked-around a power-up issue by turning on USB Wake Support in BIOS. I have no issues with the keyboard or mouse connected to the dock.

How are you to drive more than one external monitor with the docks listed in the article? The TB18DC supports three external displays, and you could use the laptop's display as a fourth. 

2 Posts

February 10th, 2019 12:00

I received my 7530 this past Tuesday. Currently going through an already 4 hour process with Dell Support to assess why it will not stay connected to either of my two NAS units. Currently in the process of reinstalling Win 10 pro.

I purchased the TB16 240W docking station as the price for adding the TB18DC exceeded the overall budget.

Sadly, the TB16 is buggy. LAN connect is SLOW! Opted for just plugging the network cable into the laptop.

USB 2.0 ports are buggy. I use a Logitech M570 Trackball, but it will not work reliably with the Unifying connector in the USB 2.0 port of the TB16. Logitech advises against plugging into a USB 3.0 port.

Frequent warnings of not charging if I try to just have the Thunderbolt connector do it all.

Thinking I will return the TB16 try a Plugable dock. Got my wife one in December with her new Inspiron and that setup has been rock solid.

Over the past  10 years or so, Dell product tend to disappoint more often than please.

18 Posts

February 11th, 2019 01:00

I use my 7530 without a dock, I plug in all the cables directly, power, hdmi, Lan, USB.

It works really well, although with the discomfort of the many cables.

But it works.

I think beside Dell, it is also a general issue of Thunderbolt. I find it was designed with high throughput in mind, not instant connection for a lot of devices. It can do that, but it was not the main purpose.

10 to 20 sec lag for the keyboard and mouse to turn on after powering on and connection is a feature for a Thunderbolt dock, not a bug.

I plug only 1-2x per day, but I use standby 10-15 times a day. So I rather plug all the cables and have fast power up from standby

199 Posts

February 11th, 2019 03:00

FWIW, from the start, I've managed to get neary 1Gbps, symmetric from my 7730 and TB18DC dock. Is the USB Ethernet driver up-to-date? How about the TB16 firmware and BIOS? I've presumed you've already done so since you mention being in contact with Dell Support - so did they offer to send you a new dock? 

17 Posts

April 12th, 2019 12:00

Hi, I am using the 7530 for just over a month and having issues connecting portable hard drives via the thunderbolt port. As soon as I connect a portable drive (Samsung 2TB, Seagate 4TB) laptop abruptly loses power! The motherboard has been replaced twice but after bios and driver updates issue comes back. Do you connect any portable hard drives via thunderbolt ports? Hope you can share your experience. Thanks

2 Posts

May 7th, 2019 01:00

I agree. The TB18 and TB16 failed to work reliably with my Dell 7530. I bought both. A waste of my money. DMA driver verify failure on both docks. TB18 was replaced twice and I am on my 3rd motherboard on the 7530. Dell quality is really poor now. Another of my lower end laptop is on its 3rd motherboard as well.

1 Message

May 15th, 2019 10:00

Has anyone verified that the WD15 works with the Precision 7530 when using an additional power supply plugged directly into the laptop?

1 Message

June 2nd, 2019 16:00

I can verify that the WD15 docking station (the 180W variation) will work with the Precision 7530 (the ones we have been buying have the nVidia P2000 4gb graphics and Intel i7-8750H processors). 

However...
We have to additionally connect a 180W Power Adapter into the PC itself, since the dock will only supply a maximum of 130W, triggering the "you have connected an undersized adapter" upon boot. 

3 Posts

June 18th, 2019 17:00

There is a new dock model WD19, there are actually 4 versions and based on the power delivery (130W vs 180W) and connector (USB-C vs Thunderbolt vs Dual Thunderbolt)

Could this be the dock that finally fixes this mess and works as it should?

Has anyone tried this?

I just bought 2 TB18DC to try my luck with my new Precision 7530, of course, 2 days later I find about this...

5 Posts

July 7th, 2019 00:00

Did you return the TB18DC docks? Did anybody try the WD19 docks with the Precision 7530? I still use it without a dock. I was thinking to try an Akition Thunder3 Dock Pro. It has a 10GbE network card built in, otherwise similar to other Thunderbolt docks. https://www.akitio.com/adapters/thunder3-dock-pro

1 Message

September 2nd, 2019 10:00

I use the TB16 with the standard 180w charger that the dock came with it on my Precision 7520 and my Precision 7530 literally every day. I have 3 monitors running on a display port to 3-HDMI splitter (hooked to the dock) I use daily and one of them is even a 4k. The dock has NEVER had any problem charging my computer or displaying my content. I am sure the TB18DC might charge a little bit faster, but when I am using my dock it is generally for a couple hours at a time and it always gives me a full change in that amount of time. I bought mine from a 3rd party for $150 and I have been thrilled with it. Hope that info helps.

No Events found!